Sign in to follow this  
gumshoes

1960 reel mower

gumshoes

I was lucky enough yeasterday to purchase what appears to be a NOS 30 " Reel mower from and old dealer in CT. I am going back tomorrow to pick it up along with a nicely restored 1960 Suburban, and a NOS Suburban hood. How hard are these to attach and how well do they work. I probably will just use it for show though.

CasualObserver

Which model? They aren't that hard to attach, just make sure you get all the parts. I've never used mine... needs the bearings replaced. Be sure to post up pictures. Here's mine on my 1960 Suburban 400.

09show15.jpg

09show16.jpg

tunahead72

Congratulations!

And welcome to RedSquare, hope you enjoy your stay here.

I can't answer your questions for you, others with much more experience (like CasualObserver) will certainly chime in soon.

But there's a document on the Toro website that might help you out. Try this link and see if it works for you:

https://homeownersol...nualsResultPage

If that link doesn't take you directly to a document, enter LMR-304 in the model number box, and click "Search". On the next page, click the Manuals button and you'll see a downloadable pdf called A-7137 that includes parts lists/diagrams and instructions for a whole series of Wheel Horse mower attachments from the 1960's.

Starting on page 35 of that document is information on the LMR-30x series of front-mounted reel mowers (why Toro doesn't link this document to ALL of the mowers included in it is beyond me). If yours is actually a 1960 model, that would be model LMR-30 (pp. 45-48). Did you find an ID tag on this mower?

There's also a slightly different version of this same document available on the Yahoo Wheel Horse group, and probably on MyWheelHorse.com as well, they might be easier to read.

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, we love pictures!