Sign in to follow this  
wse100

Wheel horse is the best...

wse100

I realize that wheelhorse is the best Garden tractor!

But even the best champion will acknowledge worthy adversary's after a fight.

So in your opinion what would be the second best, and third?

I'm just learning about tractors, and wanted to know what you thought. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Charles

T-Mo

Since I'm known as JD Terry, maybe I shouldn't answer this one. But, considering that the JD 318 is considered by some to be the best lawn and garden tractor made, and since the JD 140 is still valued, not to mention the JD 430, I would think you have to include John Deere in there. Then there's Cub Cadet, i.e. the 149 to name one, there's Case/Ingersoll, Simplicity, the old Bolens. There were more, but I just threw those in off the top of my head. :whistle:

kpinnc

I would also add that not all, but most of the comparable machines were produced years ago, and are no longer available. Much like Wheel Horse!

I think what made the WH lines stand out were the fact that most models shared a great deal of commonality to one another. Almost all of the gear drive tractors are basically the same thing underneath. In other words, WH had a relatively simple (but ingenious) design, and therefore usually had less to worry about breaking. Reliabilty just kinda fell in line...

Simply put, WH products stuck with the basic design, and just gave it a facelift over the years. What they had worked, so why change it?

And to get back to the original post: I have to add the old Sears Suburban and SS series tractors too. They are very hefty machines as well...

Kevin

TT

I would add Gravely to the list, but the finicky directional clutches and the non-greasable rod ends on the majority of the related linkages weren't of the best design. (800/8000 series tractors) They had a relatively simple implement attachment system too, but not as sweet as the Attach-Matic design of the WH.

They also require an oversized wallet to own one - whether buying the whole tractor, attachments, or parts. :WRS:

Any tractor that requires a box full of tools and a few bloody knuckles to change attachments goes immediately to the bottom of my list. :whistle:

nylyon

If I needed to get a NEW tractor today it would be an Ingersoll. They may be a little better built than a Wheel Horse, but got to love the horses...

CasualObserver

:whistle: TT, speaking of Gravely ( another tractor I tend to favor) Have you seen the new Rapid Series? A traditional two wheel garden tractor that uses their traditional kind of implements? (p.s.... don't fall in love with it... anywhere from $12K to 16K :D)

GRU.jpg

Oh, and I'd have to agree with Karl... going for Garden tractor... it'd be an Ingersoll.... otherwise a new Farmall compact loader. :WRS: gotta keep it red!

TT

Quite a futuristic-looking version of the old walk-behinds, isn't it? :WRS:

I saw pictures of them, but not a real one. The closest Gravely dealer to me is now over 50 miles away, so I don't know what they have anymore. (I got to see them occasionally because Pennwood Corporation was our Toro/Gravely/Stihl dealer for quite a while. They dropped both tractor brands and started focusing on selling wood/pellet stoves now. :whistle: )

T-Mo

If I could afford one new, then Ingersoll or a JD X700 series. Another fine garden tractor, and it's fairly recent, and would be considered as solid and durable as the oldies is JD's 4x5 series, especially the 455 diesel. Excellent machines.

Nick

For a new garden tractor I also like the ingersoll tractors. For an older large garden tractor I have always wanted a Simplicity Powrmax 9020 or Allis Chalmers 720. They not only look great, to me anyway, but also had a 3 range selection hydro transmission, 3 point hitch, and steering brakes. Simplicity had some other nice tractors like the Sunstar but I still would like the big one. :WRS:

They might be in another price range but Steiner turf 4x4 articulated tractors are great all around units. The no tool front hitch system might give Wheel Horse a run for simplicity. :whistle: Just flip the attachment lever then the belt release and drive away from the attachment.

DMESS

While I haven't studied their overall construction in depth, the current Simplicity Legacy models look impressive and historically Simplicity has manufactured premium built tractors. The price is insane like everything else these days, but the capabilities and features remind me of what a modern day D series or C-195 could be like. I really like the fact that the FEL AND belly mower can be mounted at the same time. I looked one over at the local fair last year and recall it being a pretty sweet setup. It was around $15,000 with FEL and 60" mower! :whistle:

Nick

One brand I forgot that hasnt been mentioned is the Power king . They have been gone for a while though. I especialy liked the later models with more modern looks but they were still well built. They Power king was also sold by Snapper under there name.

Rollerman

While I haven't studied their overall construction in depth, the current Simplicity Legacy models look impressive and historically Simplicity has manufactured premium built tractors.

I'm going to side with Dustin here.

My neighbor has a Legacy just as Dustin decribed with the 60" deck & FEL.

He bought it used with just under 200hrs on it & it's a sweet machine.

One thing I will mention is the deck & FEL share the same PTO source....so it's one or the other even though both can be carried on the chassis at the same time. :whistle:

I have enough seat time on it to turn traitor though. :D

It seems like the Simple's & JD's rule around here...I haven't seen a current Case/Ingersoll tractor yet...just the vintage models & would like to have one... :WRS: "185 or 195!"

I have been told that there hyd drive will free wheel down hills though? :D

hodge

I don't know what response this will elicit- because of the cost of one, it doesn't compare to a WH. I would love to own a Steiner, especially with the diesel Kubota engine. But, I could own a stable of Horses for just the cost of a deck...

HorseFixer

:whistle: TT, speaking of Gravely ( another tractor I tend to favor) Have you seen the new Rapid Series? A traditional two wheel garden tractor that uses their traditional kind of implements? (p.s.... don't fall in love with it... anywhere from $12K to 16K :dunno:)

GRU.jpg

Oh, and I'd have to agree with Karl... going for Garden tractor... it'd be an Ingersoll.... otherwise a new Farmall compact loader. :WRS: gotta keep it red!

Where does the Vaccume sweeper hose connect to that :D in the front there? :D kinda looks like MJ's Dyson

Duke

rustbucket

well i like my jacobsens next to my wheel horse but the horse is still the best in my book.

perry

Any tractor that requires a box full of tools and a few bloody knuckles to change attachments goes immediately to the bottom of my list. :whistle:

you got it TT :WRS: . no patiece for junk.

as for a average everyday simple tractor, the simplicity's have a fast and easy implement hook up just like WH. and also most came standard with thier version of a 3pt hitch.

just like anything they all have there goods & bads.

wh500special

Back in the day when GT's were expected to do more than cut grass almost all of them were built with simple, heavy duty construction. Pre-MTD Cub Cadets, Simplicities, Case, Deere, pretty much all of them were great machines.

I always thought Deere had some of the most innovative designs, but they were probably also the most complex/complicated machines too.

Today though, it is hard to put a finger on what would be the best GT. Really, for any type of serious garden work, my opinion says that the best bet is to skip completely over the GT class and move up to the Sub Compact Utility Tractors like the Deere 2230, Kubota BX, and New Holland TZ tractors.

The SCUT's have category 1 hitches (although lighter duty and dimensionally a little smaller than std cat 1 hitches) and all can be outfitted with multiple implements at the same time. You can mount a loader,belly deck, and tiller - for example - and use them all independently of eack other. Not a task any of the current crop of GT's will allow (as far as I know).

Many are even available with backhoe attachments that are quite capable within their size range.

I haven't priced one for a while, but as I recall the Deere version with a 5' deck, loader, and weights came in right around $13-14k. Kubotas were about the same. Seems like a lot of loot until you consider that you'd have nearly the same investment but not nearly the same capabilty if you dropped down into the large GT class (e.g Deere X700 series).

And, with the SCUT's you still have a tractor about the size of a D250 but it is ready to work with a fuel efficient diesel, power steering, and 4wd.

kubota even has a 15 hp version that gets even closer to the GT class.

My dad has a Kubota BX2200 with deck and loader and absolutely loves it. It replaced a '48 Ford 8N as his primary mowing tractor and he has had almost entirely good experiences with it.

The really funny thing is that when I took my D250 down to his shed for storage I parked it next to the Kubota to compare size...virtual twins! And the D250 is a '76 whereas the Kubota is a 2002-ish tractor. Too bad the D250 was so expensive and a bit problematic in the transaxle, because they really were 20 years ahead of their time!

Steve

MaineDad

I would vote for a Farmall Cub. Simple 7.5 HP of pure tractor :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Ask a question like this, and you'll get almost as many different answers as you will answers.

All I'll say is, I'm glad there are, or were, a multitude of good garden tractors out there. Something for everyone's tastes.

If you think some of the Wheel Horse parts are expensive now, just think what they would cost if everyone who collected green, yellow, orange, blue, etc. tractors started collecting red instead.

hodge

Based on thirdroc17's comment, maybe we should keep it down... we don't want everybody catching on to what we already know... :whistle:

Curmudgeon

I'm in a forum where a great deal of ribbing goes on over "colors". Believe me, those green, blue, yellow guys aren't about to have their minds changed! LOL

There are even some red guys who aren't about to get into the Wheel Horse business!

Since we can agree to disagree on preferred brands, instead concentrating on the hobby in general, and enjoying the good natured ribbing about the other guys "preferences", there is much fun to be had.