Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Transmission Compatibility

rmaynard

Has anyone done a compatibility chart on manual transmissions?

For example, will a 5084 from a B-80 direct fit a 5053 application such as 856, 857, etc. or;

Will a 103907 from a 1977 C-120 direct fit a 1990 312-8 and vice-versa.

I know that almost any Uni-Drive can be made to fit with some modifications, but I am just wondering about direct fit. :dunno:

TT

That would end up being a rather compact chart, considering the variations created by the different brake drum/band location, oil fill/check style & location, axle size & length, and shifter(s), etc.

Even with 20+ years of exposure to these tractors, I still see little differences that I have never seen/noticed before. That doesn't necessarily mean that one tranz won't "fit" several models, but having to change any one (or more) of the above-mentioned items does not make for a "direct fit".

snookman1

i have a 74 b80 that i swapped out a 5084 trans for a 5073 trans. bolt in just fine but i'm still working on getting it running(carb problem), i'll let you know more once that is fixed.

JC 1965

Back in the summer the 5073 trans in my 1971 Raider 12 started slipping real bad. I replaced it with a #11095 trans out of a 1987 414-8. It bolted right in with no alterations. I agree that it would be nice to have some kind of cross reference chart. That sure would take some of the guess work out of it.

tunahead72

I replaced it with a #11095 trans out of a 1987 414-8.

I believe that would be a 110995 trans, correct?

Oh, wow, I just checked -- that trans is still available brand new, $2400 plus shipping from PartsTree, scoop 'em up while they last! :thumbs:

JC 1965

Thanks for catching that Ed, you're absolutely right, that trans # is 110995. Guess i left out one of the nines. Oh well these old eyes ain't what they use to be. I bet at $2400 parts tree can't tell you when they sold the last one. I got mine out of a tractor that i bought for parts for $100. I like the trans cause It's an 8 pinion. The 5073 is a 10 pinion.

tunahead72

Bob, I assume you've looked at the Transmission Usage chart that's part of the trans repair manual available from Toro, right?

That chart will tell you, for example, that the 5053 trans that you're looking to replace was also used in a bunch of other 1966-1969 models, so a trans out of one of those would presumably be a direct fit.

Obviously that's only part of the picture, but it might be a good place to start if you're thinking about creating a more comprehensive compatibility table.