Sign in to follow this  
Mykol610

New tires...

Mykol610

I recently got a pair of (almost) brand new 6-12 Carlisle TruLug :dunno: ? tires on rims. When I got them monday afternoon, I noticed they look really narrow compared to what is on my 1057. I'm not worried about that though, what I am questioning is, will they take the weight of the rear end without problems? I can't remember the type/size of tires on the tractor at the moment but I'm thinking they're 23/10.5/12. I was planning on having a summer set and a winter set anyway. I just want to make sure I wouldn't have any problems with mounting them and having them rub or wear fast or anything. I'm definately going to keep them regardless. What would you say would be a good price for them. 2 tires on rims. Still have the nubs/**** on the tires (haven't been used much if at all), rims are a little dirty but no rust or any issues I can see.

Kelly

Your tractor came with 23x8.5x12 tires, the 6x12 will work just fine, in fact probably better in the winter because you will have more pounds per square inch on the ground with a smaller contact patch, they should bolt on with no interference issues, as for cost I get $15-20 each for nice narrow rims, and new 6x12 ags Carlisle brand run about $70 each in local stores.

Mykol610

The only bad thing with them (carlisles) is because of the smaller contact patch, the chains I have won't fit on them. And, I just think of a larger contact patch would be almost better because of the resistance to motion. That's why I'm thinking of using the carlisle's for summer. Plus I have the chains for the others. I might play a little to see which works better.

pfrederi

Wider is better for traction in Mud, narrower is better for traction in snow. Think about purpose built snow plows, the old Walters Sno-Fighter and FWD models. All used single tires, as does most new dedicated snow equipment at airports.

Ag tires by themselves are not particularly good in snow if you have packed snow/ ice underneath. Ag tires are directional which means they are damn near worthless trying to back up in snow (or mud).

I have a Farmall M with a front mount plow and 1400 lbs of beet juice in the rear tires and a set of wheel weights, I am going to have to buy a set of chains as when you lift the plow and try to back up any grade at all you get stuck. My Case DC3 (600lbs of wheel weights) with a back blade didn't move snow well until I put chains on her.

chevrat68

If you put chains on try dropping your tire pressure so you don't just make contact with the ground through the chains and chew them up on the pavement.