Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Could use a little help please (2 stage blower)

Crash

Could somebody take a look and tell me which way the sprocket goes on the impeller shaft? I think I have it backward :wh: and I can"t tell from the parts diagrams. Thanks :dunno:

Shuboxlover

The part of the sprocket that has the two set screw bolts in it goes toward the front of the machine, meaning the flat part of the sprocket goes toward the rear.

Crash

Just as I figured, I have it backwards :dunno: Thanks you sir :wh:

Crash

The part of the sprocket that has the two set screw bolts in it goes toward the front of the machine, meaning the flat part of the sprocket goes toward the rear.

Could somebody verify this please. Because in this drawing it looks to me like the set screws go toward the rear of the blower. I/m asking about #6 in the diagram.

7_537004.gif

Forest Road

I believe the set screws go towards the front of the machine. And keep in mind that you may have to loosen them later on. You'll need to line up both sprockets to keep the chain in line. I rebuilt my blower a few months ago. I had at least 1/4" of shaft sticking out the end of my sprocket.

Crash

I believe the set screws go towards the front of the machine. And keep in mind that you may have to loosen them later on. You'll need to line up both sprockets to keep the chain in line. I rebuilt my blower a few months ago. I had at least 1/4" of shaft sticking out the end of my sprocket.

Thanks.... I found a picture and indeed the set screws do go toward the front. So now I have to adjust the small sprocket to get the chain straight. I am starting to believe this was set up wrong since it was new.

dgoyette

It does look that way from the drawing, but mine is on the same way Tyson said. Set screws toward the front of the blower. I think it would be very difficult to line up to the gearbox sprocket if you reversed it.

Crash

I think it would be very difficult to line up to the gearbox sprocket if you reversed it.

Mine was, and I think it has been that way since day 1 of the blower. :dunno: I know it has been that the last 4 or 5 years that I have owned it. Now I have to slide the small sprocket back on that shaft and so far, it doesn't want to budge.

dgoyette

I guess I am confused on what the problem is then. If you were able to line it up reversed so that the chain doesn't jump it really doesn't matter which way you have it on. I am surprised you were able to line it up though. On mine I would not have enough room to line it up and have enough room for the set screws to contact the shaft. Unless the sprocket on the gear box is also reversed. Personally I would put it back together the way it was if it was fine for 5 years.

Shuboxlover

Maybe this will help....

2011-11-26_07-51-37_612.jpg

Crash

Well, that helps, kind of..... My large sprocket is reversed, and my small sprocket must barley be hanging on the end of that shaft. I have some in and out movement of my impeller shaft and was thinking if I had the sprocket on the right way it would but up against that collar and hold the shaft tighter. After seeing the picture from shuboxlover, it appears he has some space between the collar and the sprocket just as I do. So that small set screw on that collar is the only thing holding the shaft from going in and out? When I hit the heavy stuff last year I could here a "clunk" that was caused by the impeller shaft going forward and backward.

Shuboxlover

I think what keeps the shaft from going in an out is the fact the impeller shaft is held in place by the gear box by the auger and then the auger shafts are held in place by the bearings on each side. As near as I can tell, I think the only reason the collar is there is to keep debris out of the impeller shaft bearing, I am probably TOTALLY wrong on that analysis, but one tiny socket set screw isn't going to hold ANYTHING in place that is that big. :dunno:

Forest Road

I think what keeps the shaft from going in an out is the fact the impeller shaft is held in place by the gear box by the auger and then the auger shafts are held in place by the bearings on each side. As near as I can tell, I think the only reason the collar is there is to keep debris out of the impeller shaft bearing, I am probably TOTALLY wrong on that analysis, but one tiny socket set screw isn't going to hold ANYTHING in place that is that big. :dunno:

I'll second that!!!

wallfish

Hmmmm, The set screws for that sprocket on mine are on the side facing the back of the tractor. Gearbox sprocket has the set screws facing the front. Both sprockets fit completely on the shafts and the chain is in alignment.

Crash

Yeah, I thought the set screw on the collar wouldn't hold it. When I took it all apart the collar was just floating loose. That's why I was thinking if I put the big sprocket on the right way and it was flush against the collar I would have those two set screws holding everything. When I grab the auger with my hand and move it back and forth, I can see the shaft move in and out by the collar. It doesn't move much,, maybe 1/8 inch, but it does move. Does anybody else have that movement?