Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

another 50 dollar machine

can whlvr

so 3 days ago i saw a tractor on kijiji,no pics just said 1986wheelhorse 312 hydro for parts,i held back for 2 days so that it would be sold when i called,thinking its a whimpy 700 series hydro(not that they dont work good but not for ground engaging),and the motor was probally blown,well i call him this morning and he still has it,so i drive 45minites away and we go look at it,HOLY CRAP is this thing ruff,the hood is rotted at the bottom so bad the hood is gonna fall off,and the usual rust every where else,so i offer 50 bucks and he says sure take it away,the motor was seized solid,couldnt move by hand and i could push it so i thought the tranny was bad,so it turns out to be a 1990 312 hydro,but it has the 1100 eaton from what parts tree says,its a 31-12ke01,sticker is still there,so i cant leave dead horses laying i tear off the head,it looks pretty good in there so then i take off the shrouds and there is a huge mouse nest with nut shells in there to bind up the flywheel,i clear it and check spark,fuel pump ,new lines,cleanout tank,put a carb from a k series(no choke cable right now,cause the m and k carbs a little different)boost her and she fires right up,so then i try to move her and holy cow it moves,so i bolt whats needed to drive it around and ran her for an hour and it drove up my steep hill with no probs,the motor smokes some but i will rebuild the motor down the road,the hydro lift works great too,i know THIS THREAD IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICS but still no camera,guess i should stop buying tractors and but a camera,it seems the newer the tractor i get the ruffer they are,i will see if my phone can post picks

gcole

Congrats on getting her going. I saw it on kijiji glad it went to a new home :wh: :dunno:

Suburban 550

Seems like your $50.00 was well spent. Good luck with it. :dunno:

HorseFixer

Nice find Don :dunno: By the way guys what is kijiji a local trade paper?

Cheers ~Duke

:wh:

MikesRJ

:dunno: hehehehe

JimD

Sounds like a great buy for 50 bucks. :dunno: :wh:

stevasaurus

Way to save a horse Don...sounds like a keeper...would have liked to see a picture of that mouse nest though. :dunno: It is amazing that them little suckers can get into those small areas and cause that much havoc. :wh:

gcole

Kijiji is a Canadian for sale site It is were I found my horse :dunno: :wh:

can whlvr

gcole is correct,its like craigslist but more popular than craigslist for tractors up here,ive been lucky due to this site,theres horses on it quite a bit but i only look for the inexpensive ones,to day i removed most of the body,i power washed it yesterday before i brought it home,i have never seen anything so filthy,so today i washed her thourally,and the pump was so dirty that you coulnt see the air cooling fins,or even the hoses,i cant beleive that someone could treat an expensive machine this way,i dont beleive anything has ever been off this machine,not even the wheels due to no tool markings oor stripped bolts or nuts,not one bolt looks to be touched,i bet the hydro filter is orig :dunno: ,so i drained the rear and motor oils,she will get a new hydro filter new fluids,grease,a couple of tubes for tires,a head light,battery,and down the road i will restore her and rebuild the motor,since it is the 100 eaton rear i feel it is worth it,but im either gonna haft to get good at body welding or buy another hood,shes rough as heck,my 1975s are a 1000 times better shape than the 1990,go figure

Duff

Nice buy, Don! Don't waste a whole lot of time restoring the hood -they are very readily available for 300/400 series machines. I'll even bet someone here's got one they'd part with!

Duff :dunno:

speedyleedy

Good Find , Don! You can sure find em! :dunno:

can whlvr

I DO KNOW YOU WANT PICS but i still have not got a camera,an update on the 312h,i really like this tractor,she has more rust than any other maroon stripe ive ever seen but it runs really good,problem is the smoke,so shes getting a rebuild,this morning i switched engines,i put a 14 hp from my last 50 dollar tractor that mowed all season and didnt even flinch once,its absoultly sound but i have 2 414-8,and i want a good eaton hydro for snow duties this winter,the 414-8s will get the winter off this year,ill use the c160auto as the primary snow thrower,the 314hydro with a thrower and 313-8 with a blade,it has the small tiers and they rock in the snow with chains,im finding the motion lever a little strange but ill get used to it,well just an update,thanks for reading