Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

520 cracked rear?

AMC RULES

Sent my 520 to the shop earlier this summer to chase down an elusive leak from the rear end. So after having virtually everything gone through, rear axle seals, case gasket, lift cylinder rebuilt, new hoses, etc., I was informed today that the rear case has a invisible hair line crack along the bottom where the rear attach a matic mount contacts the axle tube. Anyone ever heard of this happening before, any ideas for an effective fix without replacing the rear case? :dunno: Anyone parting out an early model 520, mines an '88 model, if it matters what year the rear comes from. I'm thinking I'm gonna need another rear case here?

AMC RULES

I'm wondering if there other models of :wh: tractors I could be looking for , besides 520's, that could serve as rear end housing donors for my tractor? :dunno:

dgoyette

The rear form the 416H that Redhorse is selling should be a direct fit.

zieg72

any ideas for an effective fix

JB weld is some amazing stuff. If it were me I would grind down the crack to a light V and slather some JB weld in its place. My $.02

Raider12

any ideas for an effective fix

JB weld is some amazing stuff. If it were me I would grind down the crack to a light V and slather some JB weld in its place. My $.02

If it were mine I to would try the JB Weld. Nothing to loose to try?

Denver

daveoman1966

I am in n/w PA at zip 16433 and I have both trans case sides from a 520H that had a bad engine. I also sold both axles but I do still have all of the other internal gears. I will sell LT and RT case sides (with seals) for $100 bux and all internal gears for another $100. $15 to ship gears via USPS flat rate. I can also ship the cast iron case sides but need a zip code to estimate ship cahrges.

For pics....send email to me at: daveoman@windstream.net

AMC RULES

PM sent Dave.

baerpath

If you get up this way I have a complete case you can have from a 95 or 96 520.

Duane

Operator

I'd go with Zieg72' thinking, JB Weld, clean it good though.

rwilson

Any trans case for a tractor with an Eaton HYdro will work. I put a case half and some guts from a 520 and a various 8 speed inside my C-175 trans.

grinchsr

I used JB WELD on a 396 Chevy motor with a 2 inch crack just under the head and it sealed it for 3 years and was still good when I changed the motor for something else. GOOD STUFF !!!

AMC RULES

I'd probably consider investing the time and effort into a crack in the case that you could actually see. This one doesn't even show up under a blacklight. It's a porosity issue in the case casting itself. I would still rather invest in another case, and another axle for the right side too, Bearing wear on my current axle, that a new seal didn't fix either. :eusa-doh:

baerpath

Case is still in the garage

Duane

Sparky

I have a parted out GT1848 with a complete Eaton 1100 in it.

PM or e-mail me for more details.

Mike........