Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

417-8 with Berco 2 Stage Blower Record Snow Storm in CT

stevebo

Here is a video of me blowing snow for the first time during a record breaking early snow storm here in CT. The storm started on Saturday the 26th and ended on Sunday. I did use the blower on Saturday night so technically this is the second time using it :dunno:

I was not fully prepared as there are no chains and I still need to mount the snowcab and chute rod bracket. This snow was very heavy but the blower worked great. No matter if you have a single stage or 2 stage blower it simply will not throw slush as I found out later that day when the sun started to melt the snow.

th_417-blowingsnowoct302011.jpg

WheelHorseSteve

Very cool, Steve! Glad to hear it worked out for you! (looks great!)

I had a similar situation -- still had the grader blade and Ags on... and in my case had the transmission drained and hoses all disconnected. I got the plow on just in time but didn't have time to switch over to the turfs/chains. It was my first time plowing w/ the Wheel Horse and it is a champ -- I love it.

Regarding the slush, plowing is definitely ideal for it... though I have had success with the beastly Honda 1132 snowblower as well. Eventually it does clog up the chute... but can still throw it pretty far until that point.

Has anyone tried those kits to add rubber flaps to the second stage? I can see those helping with slush in particular.

rexman72

steve i am glad you posted about not throwing slush because i thought i was my snowblower not working good.i had to get my other tractor out with the blade on it.Up here in maine we are getting more and more heavy wet snow.

wallfish

That thing is throwing better than the 2 stage I have. I was also unprepared and haven't taken the time to clean up, paint and wax mine so the snow was sticking all over it and clogging up.

rexman72

Do you wax the inside of your chute or what do you use to prevent clogging?

That thing is throwing better than the 2 stage I have. I was also unprepared and haven't taken the time to clean up, paint and wax mine so the snow was sticking all over it and clogging up.

wallfish

I use furniture spray wax. They were $.33 a can at a local surplus store so I bought 10 about a year ago. It lasts much longer than spray oil, like WD 40.

They do actually sell spray for snowblowers to coat the parts with but I never used it.

Raider12

Stevebo, I think for the snow being so heavy and wet that 2-stage did a great job for ya! Thanks for sh :dunno: aring thee video!

varosd

How about Silicone spray? I used paste wax and WD-40 last year and it seemed to work ok.

Buckshot 1

:wh: I use Slip Plate on my snow/dozer blade and it does a great job. As it is a dry lubricate nothing sticks to it. Only draw back, it is highly toxic, therefor sprayed/brushed in a well ventilated area. :dunno:

Rollerman

Nice setup Steve, I've heard the Berco's are really nice throwers that don't weigh a ton like the WheelHorse 2 stagers.

spark949

Nice setup Steve, I've heard the Berco's are really nice throwers that don't weigh a ton like the WheelHorse 2 stagers.

Yeah, tell me about it. Here's how I move my 2 stage.

What width is that Berco blower?

59f74c42.jpg

stevebo

Good to see you finally found one! Like they say be careful what you wish for :dunno: They ae heavy !

HorseFixer

Has anyone tried those kits to add rubber flaps to the second stage? I can see those helping with slush in particular.

Yes, That was another Duke Exclusive. :wh: I did it when I built my snow chucker build back in the fall of 2009. You can click on my vids get to my UTUBE Channel or type in search Blowin Slush and you can see what I did. I HAVE NEVER had it plugg up not even once! As far as oil, teflon, pam, wax, Whale Sperm, :help: none of that stuff works for long! Just make sure the inside of your blower is clean real good and give it a good coat of Valspar Restoration Series Paint that stuff dries Fast & Hard, before painting make sure there are no Burrs. Rough surfaces, make the snow & Ice Cling to the surface. The one single thing that helped my chucker as far as throwing snow was the Corded Rubber Wipers. :thanks:

Good Luck :dunno: ~Duke

Coadster32

Corded Rubber Wipers.

Where do you get them?

HorseFixer

Corded Rubber Wipers.

Where do you get them?

Chris I got mine from Southwestern Supply and Industrial Supplier in St. Joseph, Mi

Just to clarify when I say Wipers in essence that is what they do is wipe the 2nd stage fan

and seal against the housing. That leaves -0- gaps between fan & housing and increases the

efficiency and velocity of the snow out the chute. I purchased a hunk of it from him I

think like an 18" x 18" piece of corded rubber I think 1/2" thick and cut it in like 2 1/2" x 8"

strips and SANDMITCHED it between the fan and Stainless Steel backer plate.

http://www.youtube.com/user/THEHORSEFIXER?feature=mhee#p/u/19/IMbjut8c4MU