Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Spindle/axle wear sleeve

littleredrider

I made a post just before all the BS happened, now can't find it. Anyways, couple of my tractors have the spindle/axle bore slop, one being real bad. I know you can put a sleave in there, but what about a needle bearing?? I can get it in 3/4 bore, OD is 1", and can get 3/8" long to over an 1". So the axle would have to be bored little less than the 1", but would that pose any problems?? The bearing can handle 2k, so should be plenty strong.

rmaynard

I guess my response was lost in the confusion as well, so here is what I said.

Considering that the bore on some of the axles is fairly close to the edge (see picture below). I would be inclined to NOT use a bearing that would remove 1/4" of material, making the hole 1/8" closer to the edge. I would use a bronze sleeve bushing similar to what is used in the steering support casting.

5c742fcf.jpg

littleredrider

I think the axle that I wanted to do it to is off a C-141, and after a quick glance it looked thick around the bore. I'll have to check it again. Probly the sleeve would be fine, just thinking of the bearing....

sorekiwi

I think a bronze bearing will be more tolerant of the dirt and grime that will get down there. A needle bearing really needs to be used in conjunction with a seal to keep all the crap out.

wallfish

I bought a 7/8" construction reamer and used a 7/8 OD X 3/4 ID bronze bushing in the axle. The construction reamer self centers and you can use it in a drill.

littleredrider

Hmm, I think I might have one....