Sign in to follow this  
Banjo

Safety Alert, Check your positive battery cables

Banjo

I was cleaning and inspecting my new used 1995 520H (200 hours on it) and looked down at the positive battery cable and noticed where it drops down from the battery behind the side metal panel of the tractor, the cable was FLAT on one side. So I moved it carefully away from the metal panel and noticed the wire was BARE for about 2 inches. A few strands of that cable had actually burned off from rubbing! I carefully disconnected it from the positive post of the battery for further inspection.

Must have been bouncing around arcing for a while! Lucky it did not weld to the tractor, probably because the metal panel was painted that it did not weld.

Since most of the wire is still intact, I taped up the bare section and installed the entire cable into a "liquidtight" flexible conduit that I had laying around. In the first photo below, I have a green line showing the panel where the cable runs behind where the bare section of the cable was. The yellow arrow shows the new liquidtight piece I installed (gray conduit).

So the point is, I am surprised to find this at 200 HRS and I recommend you CHECK YOURS TOO!

Any thoughts about how this happened? The cable was not really tight either.

DSCN1436-1-1.jpg

DSCN1435-1.jpg

Banjo

Just had a thought after looking at the pics that maybe that black metal plate gets hot from the engine and melts or degrades the battery cable that kind of sits next to it...

kj4kicks

Thanks for the info !

I'll be sure to check mine out.

Sparky

Same here, thanks.

Mike........

92Pony

I'll give mine a look this evening!~ Thanks!

Banjo

Anyone find their cable is bare?

Sparky

I followed out the one on my new 416-H and its fine. Thanks for the heads up tho :whistle: .

Mike..........