Steve in Mo

Spark and gas but no start!!

Steve in Mo

Put my C101 in the shed two weeks ago it was running fine. Tried to start it yesterday but no go. It has plenty of spark at the plug and you can smell gas. If I pull the plug it is wet with gas. The engine cranks and cranks but there seems to be no attempt to start up. Tried starting fluin but even with that it does not fire off, any help will be appreciated.

mid60's

Steve: You might try a new Spark Plug. I've even got new ones that were bad. That caused a lot of grief. So now I try a couple of new ones.

Larry also in MO

• Like 3

C-85

Engine law says that you need 3 things to make an engine run, fire (spark), fuel and compression. The way I would attack this problem would be to take a "wide gap" spark tester to verify that the spark is strong enough to ignite the fuel. If the spark won't jump across a wide gap spark tester then it's to weak and won't ignite the fuel. Then if your plug is wet with gas (unless it's flooding) then it might make sense to check the compression. I don't have a manual in front of me right now, but I believe compression should be at least 100 psi. I'm sure other members will be able to comment on this.

This is part of my other fleet, these are from 1968 and I still use 'em! This is from back when Toro was Toro and Wheel Horse was Wheel Horse!

2008-05-25_002Large.jpg

• Like 1

clyde

:wh: stuck valve?valve clearance have had both problems :dunno:

Steve in Mo

Larry you where right about the plug. I had lots of spark with the plug grounded to the head but would not fire the engine when installed. Put new plug in as you suggested and she fired right off. Will have to remember this one and keep a spare plug in stock. Thanks a bunch. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Reddart

Ha ha,had this happen to me today. Of course getting ready for the big snow storm, tractor doesn’t start. Cleaned the points, got starter fluid, still no go. Sparkplug pulled out was wet with fuel, but “looked” like it sparked good. Even went so far as opening the vent plate to make sure the valves were moving properly. Felt suction on carb and pressure in the exhaust. 

Got a new spark plug, and BAM fired right up. 🙄

• Like 3

pfrederi
41 minutes ago, Reddart said:

Ha ha,had this happen to me today. Of course getting ready for the big snow storm, tractor doesn’t start. Cleaned the points, got starter fluid, still no go. Sparkplug pulled out was wet with fuel, but “looked” like it sparked good. Even went so far as opening the vent plate to make sure the valves were moving properly. Felt suction on carb and pressure in the exhaust. 

Got a new spark plug, and BAM fired right up. 🙄

Let me guess bad plug was a Champion

• Confused 1

Reddart
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Let me guess bad plug was a Champion

I chucked it in the garbage. My replacement was an autolite, different than the one I took out…I think it was a champion. 🤷

• Like 1

pfrederi
13 minutes ago, Reddart said:

I chucked it in the garbage. My replacement was an autolite, different than the one I took out…I think it was a champion. 🤷

I am an ABC  plug guy ....Anything  But Champion

Had same issue several times would spark laying on the head but not work under compression

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reddart
On 1/6/2024 at 6:48 PM, pfrederi said:

I am an ABC  plug guy ....Anything  But Champion

Had same issue several times would spark laying on the head but not work under compression

I want someone to blame for this, and that is good enough for me to permanently ban Champion spark plugs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1