fourwheels0

8 speed fluid

rmaynard
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Not sure what the difference is between GL-1 and GL-5, but Wheel Horse calls for GL-5.

tom2p
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Not sure what the difference is between GL-1 and GL-5, but Wheel Horse calls for GL-5.

I believe GL1 is primarily intended for the very old stuff - pre 60's / early 60's ? ;  GL1 has little or no additives 

GL5 more advanced with enhanced protection due to additives etc - but it is possible some of the GL5 additives can attack the metals or seals in the early transmissions

adsm08

GL5 is probably safe in the WH transaxles.

Never put GL5 in a synchronized transmission unless that is the manufacturer's spec. GL5 has an additive that eats brass, and brass is what synchronizers are made of.

• Thanks 1

Joe 77 B100

Is it just my experience, but is adding the new tranny fluid difficult?  I can only add about 1T at a time or else it bubbles up out of the opening.    Should I warm the new fluid so it slides down easier?

Maxwell-8

I run GL3, the lube place recommended it for strait-cut gears. they recommand GL5 for hypoid gears

4 hours ago, ecojoe69 said:

Is it just my experience, but is adding the new tranny fluid difficult?  I can only add about 1T at a time or else it bubbles up out of the opening.    Should I warm the new fluid so it slides down easier?

That would make it easier, or remove on of the two bolts holding the seat support to the tranny.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@fourwheels0 , for me this is a no brainer , regularly use my 3 horses , and regularly check lubricant status , example , cut grass, lift up seat , dip stick check transaxle, or just look things over. I DO NOT WAIT FOR A SURPRISE  TO REPAIR ANYTHING , another thing about oils , is that they are the easiest thing to replace on a regular basis . keep your lubricants fresh , don't brag  that your oil is whatever old . do a lubrication go over on every movement point . very sorry if I offended anyone by suggesting to keep in touch with your lawn tractor , most people around me , seam to love rust and breakdowns. fresh trans oil and new shift boot , just me, pete

Handy Don
11 hours ago, ecojoe69 said:

if you do a search for filling transaxles or transaxle oil change you'll find posts describing a number of approaches but most have to do with getting the air to come out easier as you are adding the oil.

Wheelhorse#1

This ole B80 could of gone another 50 yrs Or so with out a oil change .😬 Shifter boot was shredded.

I used diesel to flush it out ,put on jack stands and ran her through the gears and let it run.

works great.

BCED56D5-73CC-4E88-9481-A32E2CBBC89D.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Joe 77 B100

The manual calls for 90-140 API GL-5 fluid but that seems impossible to find.  How important is it to get exactly that stuff?

wallfish
5 hours ago, ecojoe69 said:

How important is it to get exactly that stuff?

Not very important

Digger 66
On 12/23/2021 at 12:57 AM, ecojoe69 said:

The manual calls for 90-140 API GL-5 fluid but that seems impossible to find.  How important is it to get exactly that stuff?

My Wheeler uses 75 / 140 GL-5 Full Syn in its rear diff & gearbox .It's only a bit off on the low temp side .

This viscosity is widely available and it only being 15 points lower ( on the low-side ) it's what I'd be using .

One thing I have learned over the years is : Even though the store brands ( Wal Mart's Supertech brand specifically ) analysis clams to meet API specs , I find a name brand (Mobil 1 - Valvoline ) maintains it's clarity and properties much better in the harsh environment my bike is used to .

Edited by Digger 66