Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Cab Conversion

HorseFixer

A year ago I PU a 5LX Cab for a new style tractor. Has anyone ever tried mounting one on a 300,400,500 series tractor? :thumbs2: This Cab is in excellent condition and it would be hard to get one in any better condition. :D I would like to put it on my 520. I have seen many Cabs adapted to other make models of tractors I know there will be some tubbing and bracketing required and was just wondering if anyone has done this, and I would like to see what you did maybe it will save me some time. I took the cab out of storage last night and will be putting it together. If anyone has a 300 400 500 series cab and wants to do a swap if in equal condition that may be a possibility also. :banghead:

:banghead: ~Duke

Don1977

Go ahead and modify it, I have confidence in you ability to get it better than factory.

:thumbs2:

Raider12

Has anyone ever tried mounting one on a 300,400,500 series tractor? :thumbs2: This Cab is in excellent condition and it would be hard to get one in any better condition. :banghead: I would like to put it on my 520.

I don't think this will fit your 520? But Im pretty sure it would fit mine?? :banghead: I would think with a little brain power you could modify this to fit without any major problems. Besure to post the results.

HorseFixer

Well here we go another one of my Star Studded Cluster (*!@&^!#&@^$# :thumbs: Well anyways thanks for your votes of confidence :banghead::ROTF: I guess nothing is easy. :banghead: So below is a set of pictures for a 3,4,500 series cab. The Next set of three are for the 5XL, and the next three are for my $100.00 5XL Jobbie that Im gonna be converting over on the 520-H The last three are pictures the PO sent me. Hmmmm looks like I'll be Sailing with Ole Capt'n Morgan on this one, :thanks: what you guys think? :thumbs2: 1 or 2 Gallons :D

Well Im going out to the stable and put the framework together and see if it will even somewhat bolt up kinda. :thumbs: More later..

~Duke

34500c.jpg

34500b.jpg

34500a.jpg

5xic.jpg

5xib.jpg

5xia.jpg

Picture370.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Picture171.jpg

AMC RULES

The frame looks virtually the same, a master show chucker such as yourself will have that thing mounted up and heated in no time. Get a little Captain in you and it'll feel like a sauna in there. :banghead: Keep us updated? :thumbs2:

118lfd

You can make that fit no problem. They can't be much different. I wish I had that for mine. I don't think it will be too hard to fab it up.

squonk

Make sure you make the roof high enough to fit in a disco ball!! :banghead: :thumbs2:

Gene_S

Make sure you make the roof high enough to fit in a disco ball!! :banghead::thumbs2:

That and his head!!! :banghead:

Sorry BOB couldn't resist...

HorseFixer

OK Gene Gean the Dancin Machine! :banghead: Ok well looks like this isn't gonna be as hard as I thought! :D I took

some Bungee Cords and built the thing from the ceiling down on top of the 520. Here are some pics below and

a couple captions on the pictures showing what the Modifications will be. All this will need to be

completed and fabricated so it will bolt right on after the tractor is painted. :thumbs2:

~Duke

DSCN3870.jpg

DSCN3871.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

Below the bar you see going down will need to be bent and attached to the

Dash tower with a bracket mounted right above the Hydro Label. This along with the foot mount

brackets will support the front of the cab. :banghead:

DSCN3876.jpg

DSCN3874.jpg

There will need to be a bracket made Here in the picture below to attach the cab supports and cross

brace to the seat pan.

DSCN3875.jpg

DSCN3878.jpg

Below there will have to be a Bracket built to extend the cab support out about 2" and will be supported

off the foot rests. You can see where I used a 3/4" board clamped to the Footrest to demonstrate this.

DSCN3873.jpg

118lfd

I wonder if you could contact original cab and buy the pieces to fit it to the 520. That might be easier than fabbing it up.

118lfd

Looks too hard you need an 5xi tractor :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

I wonder if you could contact original cab and buy the pieces to fit it to the 520. That might be easier than fabbing it up.

10-dash 4 :thumbs2: I have already been in contact with them befor I read yer reply on this, By the way they are a very helpful company, and great to do buisness with. :banghead: Chris from their support service dept was the the one that told me to suspend the framework overhead of the tractor as that is what they do when they design and build new cabs for different model tractors. He will be looking at this thread and the pictures that I posted above, and give me his thoughts. Time is of the essence cause I cant start anything else, (taking it apart for painting etc) Until I get the cab mounted solid and know that it will work cause I dont want to come back after the tractor is all painted then get it all scuffed up trying to fit on a bracket or something. :thumbs: This cab will have a glass windshield and Pwr WS Wiper for when the Duke gets in the heat of battle. :thumbs: I was also thinking about installing a kitchen in it So's I can have some eggs -n- toast while chuckin the snow. :banghead:

~Duke

:D <<< Capt'n Morgan Release the Crackin!!!

312Hydro

I was also thinking about installing a kitchen in it So's I can have some eggs -n- toast while chuckin the snow. :thumbs2:

~Duke

:banghead: <<< Capt'n Morgan Release the Crackin!!!

One word.. Microwave!!! :banghead:

Ken B

You could always paint it in the spring time? Grab the buffer and that baby will look right nice! Are you going to ditch the Toro decals and put regular old Wheel Horse decals on after you repaint it? Seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

That is one sweet looking snow cab! I know ya wanna have the original snow chucker as protective back up don't ya? :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

You could always paint it in the spring time? Grab the buffer and that baby will look right nice! Are you going to ditch the Toro decals and put regular old Wheel Horse decals on after you repaint it? Seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

That is one sweet looking snow cab! I know ya wanna have the original snow chucker as protective back up don't ya?

One word.. Microwave!!!

Hydro what brand? :thumbs2:

Ken, Yes , I just wanna get this thing done right, even with new paint it will be finished in DEC sometime I still have Ole Faithfull working, so their is no pressure. :D On the Decals.... Yep the ALL WH kind, with maybe something a little extra added. :banghead: On the Ole Chucker.... Im gonna leave her how she is Controls Lights & All And will select a dependable PLUG and do the new one that way so they can be interchanged. Maybe a Blade is in order for the C-120? Yep never hurts to have a backup.

Note: was in conversation with Chris from Orig Cab Co. And after we got past the Liabilty Conversation that I'm not going to be Interfearing with Brakes, Controls, Ect, :USA: He said by looking at the pics on here it really wouldn't be that bad of a retro. He did mention that what he calls a good fit maybe different than what I call a good fit. :thumbs: I can understand his point a Factory Fresh Cab would Be Best but then again he doesn't know my Capabilities, And How much did I pay for this Cab????????? $100.00 Bucks :thanks: so Damn right She's going on for that price! :banghead:

P.S. He mentioned those guys really pick on you dont they? :thumbs:

~Duke :ROTF:

Drydock

I wanna see ya put one of those on an RJ/Suburban. Having the engine inside with ya outa keep it nice and warm! :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

Okay was able to get out in the Garage today on the 520 :dunno: I am making headway on mounting the snowcab. There is alot of fitting involved, and I had brackets on and off several times, hacked up my hand on the bandsaw, :help: Invented a few new words, smashed a few things with sluggo after I was P*ssed, other than that, everything went pretty good! :thanks: and I finally found the fit I liked. I used stainless Steel angle Iron for my brackets. I have to do the floor board mounting brackets tomorrow, and then I will remove the cab & will start the tear down. Heres some pics.

Cheers ~Duke

:wh:

DSCN3913.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3923.jpg

DSCN3925.jpg

DSCN3935.jpg

DSCN3936.jpg

DSCN3928.jpg

DSCN3929.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

DSCN3931.jpg

DSCN3932.jpg

DSCN3933.jpg

DSCN3934.jpg

HorseFixer

Today I went out in the Shop set there sipping coffee and was contemplating how I was going to make the foot rest supports for the cab with the materials I had. I still had a bit of 1 1/2" X 1/8" SS 308 angle Iron, and some 1 1/2" X 1/8" SS 308 flat stock I figured I would cut the Angle Iron to a 6" Piece and make a T and have 1 1/2" Overlapping the Running Board and 3" hanging out to have the Outer Cab Door jamb support to attach to. Since I didn't have 3" wide flat stock I welded the 1 1/2" Flat stock together to make it. This is where the Margin is adjusted to make the Top of the door level and also To make the Wheel Well Skirt from rubbing against the Tire. I have included some pics on how the door can sag, go above level and be right on where it is suppose to be with these adjustments. These ajustmets are made by the position of where the cab bracket lands on the SS bracket I made. Here are Some pics of todays work. I will be making drawings and measurements later of all of this in case someone else runs into this and needs to fab one up? I think it turned out fairly well considering this cab is not designed for this :thanks: tractor. :wh: Will consider this part of the project finished. :dunno:

Cheers ~Duke :help:

DSCN3945.jpg

DSCN3949.jpg

DSCN3950.jpg

DSCN3946.jpg

DSCN3969.jpg

DSCN3968.jpg

DSCN3965.jpg

DSCN3960.jpg

DSCN3961.jpg

DSCN3962.jpg

DSCN3964.jpg

DSCN3963.jpg

can whlvr

hey duke,lookin real good,looks like youve laid a bead or two in your day :dunno:

Sparky

Very nice Duke :dunno: ( as I knew it would be!)

Mike..........

Crash

Is this a model 79919 cab? I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a brand new in box 79919. I'm undecided on whether I should try to persuade it to fit on my 416, or sell it and look for a 79978. :dunno:

• Like 1