Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Bigger Tires On The Front?

71_Bronco

Had an idea the other day, about putting the same size tires on the front, as I have on the rear.

On the front of my Bronco, I have 16-6.50-8', and the rear is 23-8.50-12.

The way I was thinking about doing it, was getting a second set of hubs, like the rear transmission / output shafts have. Then I would machine up a bronze bar with the .750 I.D. and the 1 1/8" O.D. (approx on both) so the bushing would be a line-on-line press fit into the hub, and the I.D. would be a slip fit on the spindle.

Then, I would be able to use the same wheel / tire combo on the front, as I have on the rear.

The only problem I see with this, is that the front would sit way to high, and would have a "nose-up" attitude, and wouldn't look right. Not really sure how to get around that other then increasing the rear tires to get the proper height in the rear, but then that would require cutting the seat pan.

Anybody else have this idea and execute it?

Thanks

jusjeepn

Take a lesson from the big farm tractors. The only time you see a farm tractor with the same size wheels frt/rear is when it's an articulated unit. The larger tire/wheel size will decrease your turning radius, increase the amount of effort it takes to turn the wheel, and cause severe undo strain and wear on the axle pin and frame mounting holes which is already prone to wear.

Increasing the spindle size to 1 1/8" would be great, but without also increasing the diameter of the spindle where it engages the axle itself would create another weak point.

littleredrider

And would probly hit the frame or foot peg or any attachments front or mid mount.

kpinnc

And would probly hit the frame or foot peg or any attachments front or mid mount.

Yep.

Like your feet... :thumbs2:

I have seen some members use hub/ bearings on the front axle similar to those used on a trailer, with great success. 5-bolt wheels come in several sizes as well, so you can try many a different combination.

Good luck!

71_Bronco

Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't have any front-mount attachments, but I do have a mid-mount grader blade, and a mower deck. Raising the whole tractor by putting bigger tires on it, will effectively make the deck and blade useless without severe modification.

Just thought it would look pretty cool, kinda ATV-ish with the same size tires all around.

I do understand the tougher steering, and the increased turning radius, but those key points slipped my mind while I was hatching up this idea lol.

And for what it's worth, I really like the looks of the articulating tractors, probably why I came up with this idea lol

sned

How about some progress pics on your Bronco!

COMMANDO6

I'm with sned. I haven't seen any pictures lately...

71_Bronco

How about some progress pics on your Bronco!

Nothing really lately. Been making a list of items I need to order still, list is growing by the day.

At this point, its all apart. I am slowly stripping the paint and cleaning all the parts. I have the frame mostly done and a few little pieces here and there, not much to write home about.

I really need to get my butt in gear before the weather gets too cold to work on it.

farmer

71 Bronco,

If you haven't seen it, in the 'non-tractor-euro-discussion' section thingy, WH Raider 10 posted an article about such a conversion. Not a lot of detail on how, but shows its possible.

Nick

Swap in a 520-H or HC front axle with 1" spindles and its easy to just put on a trailer hub as others have done. I was bored one night and bolted some 20-8-10 trailer tires on the front of the Ranger.

monster008.jpg

monster006.jpg

546cowboy

I did that on my hot rod Craftsman http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13 ... 0American/ but I don't think you could do it with the 12" wheels because of the clearence to the frame. You would have to build a long beefy new spindle with extra bracing.

Red-White-Blue.jpg

I know this isn't a Horse and I do have 13 Wheel Horses at present but as you can see there were many mods made on this tractor and it was before the WH bug bit me.