Sign in to follow this  
Pirate

Putting 4 lug wheels on 414-8??

Pirate

Does anyone have info, on putting 4 lug front wheels on a 414-8 WH?

Also, what is the stud circle diameter?

Wondering if 4 lug trailer wheels would fit.

I have a few wheels and hubs, but the hubs use tapered wheel bearings, with a 1" shaft. I wonder if they could be adapted to fit.

Don1977

It could be done, you would have to modify your spindles. I believe the bolt circle on 4 bolt trailer wheels is 4".

I went with 5 bolt wheels on mine.

2009-06-05009.jpg

Pirate

It could be done, you would have to modify your spindles. I believe the bolt circle on 4 bolt trailer wheels is 4".

How did you modify your spindles?

Don1977

How did you modify your spindles?

I had a wheel that would not keep the bearing in and it destroyed my spindle I also had front tires that would not hold air. I didn't spend much more then a new spindle and wheel and tires would have cost. I used 3500 # trailer spindles. They are 1 3/8" and taper down to 1" on the end. first sawed off 2" of the back of the spindle that would be welded into a pipe or tube. We put them in a lathe and drill a 3/4" hole 3 1/2" deep +/- (This was around 1989 so I don't remember exactly) then cross drill 1/2" between the bearing areas. Cut off the Wheel Horse spindles to match the hole in the larger trailer. Then welded up the back and in the two holes on the end of the wheel horse spindle.

2009-06-06005-1.jpg

I have though of reinforcing the bent part of spindle up to the steering arm with a 1/4" plate each side, just never got around to it. I only use my wheel horse to mow or pull a trailer and haven't need to reinforce them.

With 1" spindles you will have to do all the weld in the back on the large part of the trailer spindle. You may want to box the spindle below the steering arm on three sides to have more area than the 3/4" spindle to weld the 1" spindle to.