Sign in to follow this  
JimD

A neighbor of mine....

JimD

has a 1975 C-100 8 speed that I've been trying to acquire. He's a younger guy who I've known all his life. His Dad is also a neighbor who I've known most of my life. It was his Dad's tractor, and it's sitting outside right now with a tarp over the engine. All I have been able to get out of him when I ask what he's going to do with it is, "I don't know".

It has damage from a tree falling on it some years ago. It needs a hood and a steering wheel, both of which should be easy to come by. The wiring is a mess, also an easy fix. I have also mentioned getting it running for him, thought I might make a few bucks. Can't seem to get any movement from him on it, and he is hard to find most of the time, but I intend to keep bugging him about it so this fine old horse can be put right and used again.

Of course he knows about my interest in Wheel Horses because he's seen mine several times. So what would you wheeler dealers say to tip the balance in your favor and get this tractor? We haven't mentioned money yet.

Any ideas?

Jim

AMC RULES

Mention the money. :thumbs2:

JimD

:thumbs2: :banghead:

Drydock

Walk up to him with a roll of cash and say, "I'll give you this much . . ."(Name a fair price) Even if he says no, fair chance he'll call ya later after he's thought about it.

rmaynard

Tell him that owning a Wheel Horse is contagious, and that since you are currently immune due to your chemo, you would be willing to take it off his hands and prevent the spread of the disease. :thumbs2:

JimD

Tell him that owning a Wheel Horse is contagious, and that since you are currently immune due to your chemo, you would be willing to take it off his hands and prevent the spread of the disease. :banghead:

Now why didn't I think of that? :thumbs2:

Ken B

It seems as though he may have some personal attachment to it. We all know how that goes. I don't get personally attached to tractors and the like myself, but if it were my Dads tractor that would be a very different story. I'm not sure what your neighbors finances or mechanical abilities are but he may be saving it for better times.

I'm only speaking for myself but here goes, if someone kept "bugging" me about a tractor I had and they knew it was my Dads and that I really didn't want to sell it, I would begin to get a little agitated. As someone said, mention money and if that still gets you an "I don't know" I'd let it go.

stevebo

I agree with Ken. IMO the more you bug him the more value he will think it has. Make him a fair offer and if/when he says no, tell him it is a standing offer and let you know if he changes his mine. That model is not that rare and I would personally move on to another one that may not need so much work. My .02 cents. Good luck-

hm12460

+1 here, show him some cash.

Kelly

Well I agree also, don't bug him, offer what you think is fair and leave it at that, another one will come along, sounds like a $100 tractor anyway, I know where at least 15 WH's set in yards and under trees with in a 20 mile drive of me, I've made offers on most others are not worth the time, rusted junk piles, not worth hauling home, all but one of mine are for sale for the right price, that one my uncle gave me before he pasted away, and truth be told with the right amount of money that one might be for sale, I know he would sell it.

Hydro

I would ask him straight out. Would he consider selling it to someone who would restore it and appreciate it for what it is? His father obviously did and you would. Having said that, make him a fair offer and tell him why your offer is what it is.

He may not know what to do with it. Your buying it might give him some peace of mind that it is now dealt with. It could bring closure to him knowing that there is comfort in the fact his father's love of the tractor is being respected and carried on with you.

JimD

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I guess I should have been a little more clear about bugging him, with the reality being we've talked about this three times in the last two years. I guess it's time to make a standing offer and let the dust settle where it will.

And hydro3122006, I did discuss just what you said with him and he did say that would be nice. I don't think he has the money or time to fix it up himself at the moment, but his sentimental attachment to it might just be too strong. May have to let this one go.

Jim

Hydro

May be for now you never know, but you tried.

71_Bronco

What you could do too, if you feel inclined to do so, is offer him your help and expertise and help him fix it up. Maybe it's just sitting there cause he doesn't know how to tackle it.

If you helped him, or at least offered, maybe it will give him that little boot in the butt to get him going on it. Even if he redoes it and keeps it, its better then letting it sit & rot.

Like others have said, try making him and offer and see what he says. You've got nothing really to loose.

JimD

I have offered to try to get it running and fix it up a bit for him, but he doesn't seem to be able to make a decision. I will mention getting it inside so the rain doesn't get into the transmission. He does things at his own pace I guess.

JimD

Well, the other day my son called from the owner's house and said Lowell was ready to sell this tractor for $150.00. I said it was too much and it would be a parts tractor for me. I passed. Two days later I reconsidered and called Lowell to find out he had already sold it to another friend for his asking price, and that Scott (the buyer) already had it running and was making a puller out of it for his son. :eek: Oh well, I guess he who hesitates is lost in this case. But to think I could have bought it a year ago and been using it kinda frustrates me a little. Ahh, there will be others.

AMC RULES

Well, you did say...you "may have to let this one go." :popcorn:

bowtiebutler956

Sorry to here that. Those kind of things always sting a little.

Matt

Edited by bowtiebutler956

stevebo

Everyone has a limit on worth...

can whlvr

wow,150 isnt alot ,was it really tough shape,that can be too much if everything is worn out,there will be others

Wheel-N-It

I work with someone who has a 80's model 316-8. She knows I love WheelHorses and has shown me pics of the tractor. I have asked her that if she ever wants to sell it to please tell me first. She also has a JD but told me she loves her WheelHorse. Anyway if the day evere comes where she is willing to sell it, I am NOT going to let that one pass me by, even if I have to pay a little more for it than it is really worth. She babies it.