HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

Operator

When you got the blasting done did you peal decals off first? Or just blast em'? I'm powder coating some later this spring and was wondering.

whfan74

When you got the blasting done did you peal decals off first? Or just blast em'? I'm powder coating some later this spring and was wondering.

Randy,

I can say from our tractors we used a heat gun first to remove the decals before they went to the blaster and powder coater. With them gone we have no worries of little bits of decal fragments anywhere on the tin. I would suggest taking the time to take them off first. Doing a little now may save you a lot in the long run.

AMC RULES

Any updates yet Duke? :text-bump:

HorseFixer

Duke,

This suggestion may be going over the top, but I thought I'd put it to you anyway. Having gone to the trouble to remotely mount the oil filter, what about in its place, putting a small oil cooler. Like I said 'over the top' especially for your winter needs, but I'm thinking that maybe the extra oil capacity gained by relocating the filter may be offset by heat, as you've moved the filter out of the engines airflow reducing its cooling effect. I wonder if thats why onan designed it that way in the first place, or maybe they just ran out of room? :wacko:

After all if the cylinder cooling fins are kept clear there shouldn't be a problem overheating wise anyway. I used to own a 518 which I cut a hole in the belt guard... the airflow through it was amazing, makes me wonder why they put the fancy louvres in the top of the hood, not in the guard?

Anywho, I'm really enjoying your thread, keep the good stuff coming.

Thanks Guys! :thumbs:

Rex I have pondered some of those very questions. :scratchead: And I dont doubt that the oil filter being in the stream of airflow comming of the flywheel may give a little cooling to the oil temp but not enough to matter much. Im sure we both agree the oil is not getting burnt, and yes cool oil will halp cool a Hot Engine but in this case I believe the Blocked head will get Hotter with the oild filter in place than not. On the over the Top Thing? :unsure: well I think in my case with this Tractor only running at around freezing and below I donot believe that will be an Issue, but if it were to be a summer time runner I would pick up a small tranny cooler and give it a whirl. :thumbs2:

Doc :) you have a good memory :bow-blue: You are correct it was a late night painting deal just like that one when the next Morning I had the stroke. Dont think forr one minute that was not on my mind. :eusa-think: The long hours may have contributed a bit but The Dr. said that smoking was the culprit. Needless to say I dont use any Tabacco products anymore.

Randy, My pal Brian just Blasts the Decals off, The only thing hanging onto the metal when he gets done is Air. :eek:

Craig I have been doing most of the work on the weekend when I can get more done, This last weekend I had a bug that took me out and didnt even go out in the Garage and this week I sandblasted all the seat parts fabbed some adapter brackets for the seat and painted them. This weekend I will cast some Lead front Wheel Weights and get all the rims to Brian for blasting as I will be getting them Powder Coating. I should get more done this weekend. B)

Thanks ~Duke

Kelly

Looks good so far.

AMC RULES

Duke, I get the impression you get more :wh: work done in your off week than most people do in a month. :)

Feel better buddy. :beer:

Operator

Thanks Duke! And Scott that is why I asked, "little pieces sticking around".

MalMac

The Bug? Well I know the answer - APPLE JUICE the cure all. You know what I am talking about Mr. Duke. Oh Yeah!

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys, Tim, I dunno about the Juice :eek: Maybe I got ahold of a bad batch! Craig I need to get this project wrapped up If I dont get a snoot full Of Lead this weekend Ill be doing good! :thumbs:

~Duke

• Like 1

MalMac

Duke you know what's going to happen, you will get this project wrapped up and we will get one heck of late winter snow storm. I know we have all missed the snow this year but my heating bill has loved the winter so far. Since the winter has been kind of a bust this year I am ready for spring and the projects that go with it. Anyway be careful with the lead pour. You know as well as anybody that can be nasty stuff to mess with. It does not give too many second chances.

Stigian

Great vid's Duke, the engine sounds great with the stack :thumbs:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Stig, :thumbs:

Well just got the Final Print from Terry Dennis on my Decals For the 520-SC Since on this Machine most everything

would be covered up but the hood, The Hood Decals Had to be the right length as not to be covered by the Snow

Cab. The End of the writing on the Side hood decal has to be 18" We went back and forth with E-Mails till I finally

got something I liked, Thanks Terry for having patience with me. Yer the Best :bow-blue: Well Guys tell me what you

think? :dunno: Working in the Garage today on the front rims for casting the weights lots to do to move the Zert fittings

to the inside of the rim. pictures on that later. :thumbs2:

~Duke

DSCN3963.jpg

The Control Box Decal will have gold lettering Below the Rocker Switches as shown but with a

Red Border like in the Last Picture.

ControlBox.jpg

Here is the Final Print.

520-SC Stands For SNOW CHUCKER :handgestures-thumbupright: SNOWCHUKERUPDATES2-1820121200PIXEL.png

Ken B

That is gonna look great Duke! Can't wait to see it done and in action.

• Like 1

ol550

Going to be one pimped out ride :handgestures-thumbup: Better leave the horse heads on the light bar too.

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys :thumbs2: Well as mentiond earlier I needed to to cast some weights for the front rims. On the Ole Chucker when the blower is lifted up the wheight is on the wheels and it steers great! :bow-blue: Let the blower down and the Chucker dont steer worth BO DIDDLEY. I Examined the front rims and it had Grease Zerts in the deep dish side where the lead would be cast. Removed the old zerts welded the holes shut and redrilled, tapped and installed new zerts, I used 1/2" Grade 8 bolts 3 1/2" long and welded a few washers on the sides of the bolt for more surface ares to grab onto the lead. I then took some 3" muffler pipe and had it swagged to fit over the weld bead where the Rim hub meets the Rim. Ised aluminum foil tape and capped off the end and taped it down to the rim. I installed Nuts and bolted the bolt to the rim sticking up in the deep dish side, heated up melted the lead and filled it up. After they cooled flipped them over and they came right out of the rim. I then took the to My Master Blaster friend Brian who will blast them tomorrow and get to the Powder coater monday where they will be powder coated White. :thumbs: They ended up weighing 62 lbs ea. here are some pics.

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

DSCN4580.jpg

DSCN4579.jpg

DSCN4581.jpg

DSCN4584.jpg

DSCN4586.jpg

DSCN4592.jpg

Butch

I don't understand what the bolts are for. To hold the lead on rim?

• Like 1

massey

Love the decals and nice work on the weights. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Those are some nice decals Duke! And nice job on the weights :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

I don't understand what the bolts are for. To hold the lead on rim?

Thanks Guys, Butch........Exactly, that is why the front rims have two holes thru them they are for varius style weights. :thumbs:

Butch thanks again for that seat. :thumbs: I have made an adapter bracket, all the seat brackets pieces parts all

sandblasted primed and painted With Valspar Restoration Series Low Gloss Black. :thumbs2: It will be ready for

install. :)

~Duke

AMC RULES

PM sent Duke.

Martin

looking good duke.

wheel weights look great.

when they get blasted do you remove material on the inside where the weights contact the rim? to allow for the thickness of powder? or does the lead shrink enough to allow clearance?

oh and the decals look awesome.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Martin, :thumbs2:

This is my second go around doing this. I casted 2 weights a couple years ago for the C-120. I casted them both off of (1) 417-A Rim well guess what? The rims musta been different cause one of the weights didnt fit the other RIM. :banghead: That was a lesson learned, even tho the rims looked Identical they weren't. I had allready painted both rims before I tried them out and wasnt gonna redo them, so their they sat in the garage 2 years until yesterday. Yep used two rims this time! :) So the rims that are to be cast need to be The RIMS yer gonna use. Just fair warning to all of you. All rims are not created equal. :eusa-whistle:

Now on yer question, I sat a small square down inside the rim (deep dish side) and it is tapered. I asked Brian (my san blast Bro) before I checked that can the powder be put on kinda skinny :jaw: He said it prolly could but now that I see it is tapered I dont think that will be an Issue. :eusa-think: Well I have my fingers crossed. Its kinda a shame that none of that deep dish powder coat white will be shown as the lead will fill it out completley, so what Im gonna do is get a Circle of like 1/8" thick stainless cut it to size to cover that Lead Have it powder Coated white and then have Terry make me a nice Wheel Horse Decal and put on it. Prolly will drill holes through circle and into weight and put some Stainless Steel Trim Screws to fasten it. Well Anyways thats the Plan. :dunno:

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

Martin

duke, i think you will be saved by the taper. its one of those things that most dont think of, but that powder is usually around 3-5 mil-thou thick ( most of the stuff i paint is, some painters vary, but everything we do at work needs to be at least 2 for case and jd, and CAT specify 2.95 min. for topcoat).

well if youve got say 4 mil both sides thats 8 mil together and that wont fit very well at all!!!!

8 mil is .008"

i think if your painter gets 1.5 at least on there you should have good coverage and with the taper everything may be ok :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

Looking good duke!!!! sorry i got to this late...

can whlvr

great job duke,where do you get lead,my scrap yards wont sell me anything,they have strick one way rules,in only,ive asked bout horses before