HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

CRE1992

Starting to look good Sir Duke

Sparky

Looks like you'll be done just in time for the first snowfall pal!

Bummer about those chains.....are they "Made in China?" Their version of Heavy Duty is alot different than ours.

Mike................

smoreau

I bought a set of them also and was very disappointing also when they got to me. I will say they work ok, but will not last as long as the older set that I have. As for the 520 is looking great Duke! Its getting closer and closer to getting done buddy. Should be better then new when done!

Jake Kuhn

Tractor's looking great Duke! :bow-blue: Jake

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! Mike Ill look at the bag they came in closer and see what it says. :confusion-shrug: Ok here is a few more pics kinda going slow at it Useing as much SS hardware as I can and putting neverseeeze on all shafts for pullys and wheel hubs. Torqueing everything down like it should be. Heres some Pics and ck out the decals! :handgestures-thumbup:

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

DSCN5151.jpg

DSCN5152.jpg

DSCN5154.jpg

DSCN5155.jpg

DSCN5156.jpg

DSCN5157.jpg

• Like 1

smoreau

You just got to love those snow chucker stickers!! Looks great!!

Jake Kuhn

Wow, its looking great duke! Maybe next time I get over there I'll get to see her all done. Jake

Sparky

Now just remember to get us some pics of the tractor actually chuckin snow!

Ummm....wont those decals be hidden by the cab :scratchead: ?

Mike...........

HorseFixer

Now just remember to get us some pics of the tractor actually chuckin snow!

Ummm....wont those decals be hidden by the cab :scratchead: ?

Mike...........

Gee Sparkman whats the chance of me not takin pictures of it in action? :confusion-shrug::eusa-whistle: Have you ever known Ole Duke to hold back on ya! :dance: On the Decals, they came in the Kit From Terry. They Replaced the HYDRO stickers, I thought they would look better on there, than on my Bathroom Mirror :hide: Maybe Ill drive around with my Cab Door open! :beer: ~Duke

Ken B

That sure is looking awful purty there Dukester. I hope you get yourself a nice 2 ft. deep snow fall to put that Chucker to the test! Then again, with all the work you have done on that beast I'm pretty sure you have scared the snow away! For this coming season at least. I hope we get a couple of doozies here in CT. so I can put my 520 to the test.

Aussie

Looking good Duke. I also have a 520 rear apart at the moment for repaint and new seals and am amazed there is no wear evident at all. Certainly a very solid unit.

I painted the inside of my 416-8 trans when I rebuilt that last year and I think it definately helps reduce rusting and keep the oil cleaner

mawk8j.jpg

312Hydro

I know that all the eatons are painted on the inside. I have also seen it done to built car engines for some reason, I think it was for better oil flow back to the the sump, and less rust build up when its been sitting all winter long. but thats just a guess. I know there is a reason for it though. I think painting the inside (or powder coating) a uni drive is a great idea Duke! I have seen too many all rusted up on top part of the trans.

That paint is an electrical paint called "Glyptal" . http://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt.html It's use is for exactly what you said,oil drain-back.Snow Chucker is looking great BTW! That machine will run like a Swiss Watch with the care you've taken to assemble it. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 1

ol550

Duke you got me thinkin' I need to get back on the jr. version of the Snow Chucker. Looks

good with all the Duke effects. Cleaned up real good since I first saw it. Mike

HorseFixer

Thanks Kenny, Aussie, Rich -n- Mike :thumbs:

Well I Started assembling the Rear End and Got the Gas Tank out and De-Gunked it and cleaned it up. There was alot of rust stains on it :eusa-think: from the rusty sheet metal surrounding it prolly do from vibration of the plastic tank wearin through the paint from the tank so I had some rubbery white roof stuff that is sticky for RV Roofs that I cut to give it some cushion. I installed it on the tank and skid it into place Once Installed Ya cant see it. I have been useing 95% Stainless Steel on all the Bolts :tools-wrench: on assembly except where there will need to be grade 8 where there is alot of stress. I also started assembly Of The Matt Hydro foot pedal doo dad thought I would try one of those out. I installed the rear fender pan and put some new tail lights on it and then started in on the seat. The new seat I got from Butch (thanks buddy) if you recall I had to make a bracket for it as it didn't fit the mounts but it does now. :dance: I got the front tires mounted on the tractor with all new bearings, races, and seals so shouldnt hafta fool with that for along time. Here is some pics of this weekends work.

DSCN5161.jpg

DSCN5162.jpg

DSCN5165.jpg

DSCN5166.jpg

DSCN5167.jpg

DSCN5168.jpg

DSCN5169.jpg

DSCN5172.jpg

DSCN5173.jpg

DSCN5174.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

DSCN5181.jpg

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Tonight I worked on the Hydro foot control hookup. It seems Matt and Wheelbearing came up with a bearing fix instead of useing a bushing on the cam. I heard about this a month or so ago from Scotty Morreau got on today and read the updated foot control post. On that thread a Washer was used as a guide to keep The Cam piece from jumping off the bearing guide. I liked that Idea :handgestures-thumbupright: so I went to work and used a 5/16 SS ID Fender washer then welded a 1/4 washer :tools-wrench: to it in order to keep it centered. I then used small dia flat washers and drilled 1/4 hole in it it to keep from smashing the outer race and keeping it from being bound up. With the fender washers and others installed NO WAY will it jump the guides now, :thumbs2: I also used a little bigger bearinng figuring it would roll rollbetter and give a greater mechanical advantage. :USA: Anyways here are some pics. Cheers :beer: Duke

DSCN5186.jpg

DSCN5187.jpg

DSCN5188.jpg

DSCN5189.jpg

DSCN5190.jpg

DSCN5192.jpg

stevebo

Looking very nice Duke.

HorseFixer

Thanks Steve, :handgestures-thumbupright:

Worked some more on the Matt Hydro Foot Pedal tonight. Cut the detent out, Ended up lubricating all pivot and linkage points (boy that sure helped)! And now the Action is very smooth and has minimal friction. Also did some piddly things, cleaned up the sockets and replaced bulbs in gauges on the dash and installed the motor mount plate. Slow but sure things are comming together. Here is a Vid of the Hydro pedal action.

th_DSCN5196_zps47ec4964.jpg

JimD

This is gonna be an awesome machine for sure Bob. Like Ken B said, you may have scared the snow away for this season, but until you get some, with all that power you can always use it as a stump grinder! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Thanks Jim :thumbs2: but hope you guys are wrong about the snow. :lol:

Tonight I worked on the External Oil Filter on the 520 and here is its location. It will be much easyier to service and change the filter in its new location. There is about 43" each way on the distance. There will be rubber coated clamps installed to hold hoses in place and will have sheathing installed wherever chaffing may accure or be an issue. The hoses are made to withstand heat and are rated at 300 psi far from the 15 psi the oil Pressure in the Onan runs at, Blue for supply to the filter Red for return to the engine. Here are some pics.

DSCN5203_zpsbd028fe1.jpg

DSCN5205_zps0f56485d.jpg

DSCN5206_zps5247fd99.jpg

DSCN5208_zps32eadccd.jpg

DSCN5211_zps7111cc8d.jpg

DSCN5212_zps13f85027.jpg

DSCN5217_zps9ee579ab.jpg

DSCN5222_zpsa7f12338.jpg

DSCN5219_zpseda04a56.jpg

DSCN5213_zpsc1712179.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Very nice duke!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

You do beautiful work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

dclarke

Nice job Duke! :thumbs:

mattd860

Awsome work Duke! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Terry M

Looks Nice Duke!!!

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well today got busy and took the covers off the engine and re-torqued the head bolts. I the removed the oil lines from the remote oil filter block. I reworked The oil line cover with larger holes to install two grommets to keep the oil lines from chaffing. Well as you can see in the pictures I will be installing a tee block in the pressure supply line and will be hooking up to a spyder digital oil pressure gauge to monitor oil pressure. Anyway I then mounted the engine on the frame and reinstalled the covers. I then installed the hood and side covers. maybe in a few days I will have it running. :) So what ya think of the Ole Girl? :dunno:

DSCN5223_zps81aba534.jpg

DSCN5224_zps976ad96c.jpg

DSCN5225_zps53205753.jpg

DSCN5226_zpse359fedb.jpg

DSCN5228_zps9103b791.jpg

DSCN52361_zps0c0ae83d.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3PTq-GL40zo

DSCN5237_zps4c1e5586.jpg

DSCN5239_zps3af2a219.jpg

DSCN5242_zps5075b1a4.jpg

DSCN5245_zps76a17f39.jpg

DSCN5247_zps63786eea.jpg