Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

500 Special Question

VinsRJ

Did a search on the topic and just want to clairify something with you-all.....

When it comes to sheet metal am I correct in saying that the WorkHorse 700 and Commando 8 are the same as the 500 Special sheet metal? If not, what parts from which models will swap over to the 500?

I'm looking to try to save this 500.

Thanks Vince

rmaynard

Vin,

I don't know the answer, but I would go to Small Engine Parts Warehouse and do a search on the 500. Find the part number for the pieces in question and then cross-reference them to see what other models they fit.

jdog_kustoms

i have all thoe manuals at home and i can look tonight to see what all parts are the same

sorekiwi

Workhorse 700 is the same sheetmetal, I'm not sure on the others.

VinsRJ

Thanks guys,

I also heard that any short frame tins from 65-68/9 would be the same? :thumbs2:

Kelly

They used two hoods on the 500s one with out the headlight hole and one with, yours has it, so only the 700, and commandos will be correct, as for the fenders the 500 used the wide fenders they started in 68 I think any fender even the long frame will fit from 68 or 69, newer will fit but will not be correct, I've been collecting pieces to build a 500 for about a year, I'm starting with a clean 700 work horse.

Gene_S

Kelly I need to go messure tonight but how much wider we talking from the 65 to 67 compared to 68 when they went wider? I never knew this existed until you mentioned it. I see the part numbers are different now after you brought that up.

Kelly

A guess would be around 4 or 5" wider, just look how far they go over the tires, compared to earlier models with the same tire set up.

Gene_S

Well Kelly I thought the tires stuck out to far on my commando 8... The 65 to 67 are 26-1/2 wide and the 68 and 69's are 30 inches wide... Guess I might need to find a few spare wide ones now...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...