Sign in to follow this  
JackC

If you have a KT17 II check your oil level

JackC

I have two C-175s that I purchased as basket cases and both have replacement Kohler KT17 Series II engines. The first engine was in good shape has good compression and runs fine. Over the weekend when I did a routine oil level check, I notice the oil level was way too high. Not knowing what was going on, I drained the crankcase and re-filled to the full mark and ran the tractor for a few minutes and put it away. Surprisingly, during the week when I was working on the second vehicle and after getting the engine running (it had been sitting for about 8 years) I noticed the same thing. The oil level was way too high. After doing some research on the internet, it turns out that the later Kohler KT17 II replacement engines use Walbro fixed jet carburetors (for emission control reasons) and apparently those carburetors have a reputation for leaking gas. So it appears that either the carburetor float valves are not closing completely (not surprisingly) or the mechanical fuel pump diaphrams (less likely) are allowing fuel to leak into the crankcase. Besides repairing the root cause of the problem some people recommend putting fuel line shut offs in the fuel line near the engine which should be shut off after the engine is shut off.

Lesson learned: Check your oil level frequently, not only to see if it is too low but also to see if it is too high. I wonder how many engines have been smoked due to poor lubrication due to gasoline in the crankcase?

SousaKerry

Hmmmmm that makes me think every time my KT17 II sits more then a day I have to pour gas down the carb to get it started, since I do not run it much I have not looked into it, figured the fuel pump was loosing prime it's on a C-125 so the tank is lower then the carb. :thumbs2:

sounds like I need to smell my dipstick :banghead: :banghead: