Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Kohler K Series Valve Springs

pfrederi

I was trying to find the free height specification for a K301 valve spring. All the downloaded K series service manuals i have seen seem to not include the chart mentioned in the narrative.

The Magnum manual includes the chart but has different size springs for intake and exhaust (the K series 301 has the same part number for both)

K series SM **** Magnum SM

8eb1cc151443642.jpg e7e4f3151443861.jpg

Anyone know the correct spec???

rmaynard

I have a valve spring taken from a good running K241S. Part number 235010-S. Kohler lists it as the same for both exhaust and intake, and the same number for the K301.

Free height is 1-25/32"

Anglo Traction

Some K301's have different springs (size/part nbr) for In/Ex. Possibly due to the use of an Exhaust Valve Rotator fitted on certain variants.

So it depends on the Model/spec nbr of your particular Engine as to what Springs are fitted originally. I don't think I have a datasheet, but I'll check.

rmaynard

Some K301's have different springs (size/part nbr) for In/Ex. Possibly due to the use of an Exhaust Valve Rotator fitted on certain variants.

So it depends on the Model/spec nbr of your particular Engine as to what Springs are fitted originally. I don't think I have a datasheet, but I'll check.

Since I didn't know what spec K301 he was referring to, I used the C-120, K301-47421 as my reference. However, seeing that he has a Raider 12, I checked all the spec numbers for Kohler powered Raider 12's and found that the part numbers for both valve springs were the same for all.

pfrederi

The 301 in question was is on an electro 12 i got recently..but the engine is from an Ariens. I looked it up and it has the same part number for intake and exhaust spring.

Anglo Traction

Ok Paul, I wasn't sure which engine. So both Springs for it should be 1. 11/16" free length (new).

So Bob's measurement of his used valve is pretty good.

Anyone needs the shorter Exhaust Spring (with rotator) length, it's 1. 9/16" (new).

Regards

rmaynard

So both Springs for it should be 1. 11/16" free length (new).

So Bob's measurement of his used valve is pretty good.

I'm not sure how much of a difference 3/32" makes when it comes to valve springs, but there's a big difference between 1-25/32 and 1-11/16 when it comes to precision measurements. :thumbs2:

Anglo Traction

Sorry Bob, my edit that refered to similar measurement was incomplete :banghead: .

To clarify, your 1-25/32" (1.7812") spring is close to mine (original) taken from a 1974 K301 47421d which is just over 1-13/16" (1.8125")....about 1/32" (0.0312") difference.

DSC00625.jpg

Observe the type of Spring in the pic has closer pitched coils at one end and are not same spacing along it's length. I don't know if this is relevent.

The dimension of a New Spring of the same Part# was obtained from an Ad in a Tractorpullingtips Website.

I can only assume the spec of the New Spring has changed and a shorter length (1-11/16") now does the same job..... and possibly easier to fit! :thumbs2: .

rmaynard

Observe the type of Spring in the pic has closer pitched coils at one end and are not same spacing along it's length. I don't know if this is relevent.

Thanks for the clarification.

The spacing is relevant, as the Kohler Service Manual (pg. 12.14) says that the closer coils are to be at the top.