Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

K series engines

meadowfield

The last two engines I have tried to get running I've struggled to get them to draw fuel and start without pouring some gas into the bore directly?

I've just done a full carb teardown and rebuild as well as a fuel pump. New hose, plenty of gas, engine turns and turns, but never fires. :banghead:

Float bowl never fills, therefore engine doesn't go ! :thumbs2:

I pour a little gas into the bore (via the plug) and hey presto she fires. :banghead:

Drop the choke off and throttle to idle, leave her running 10 minus and all is wonderful. Engine even starts from hot after a few turns and then when cold. Perfect !!!

Am I alone? can't be fuel pump priming - does the engine need to spin faster than a few hundred rpm for the pump to be effective?

mark

wheelhorse656

I take the hose off of the carb and turn it over a few times until is shoots out fuel out. It will usualy start throwing fuel out by the 5th or 6th rotation. then hook it up to the carb and it ought to run good. Hope this helps! :thumbs2:

Good luck,

Jordan

sorekiwi

I find that often Kohler pumps ar e a little hard to prime. A clear fuel filter in the line to the pump helps to see what is going on.

I dont think the mechanical Kohler fuel pumps are very good at passing the air out of the supply line, so I find it's necessary to purge the line to the pump before you start cranking.

On an engine where the fuel line has been off, I always open the valve on the tank and let the fuel flow all the way to the end of the line before attaching it to the pump. If you dont do this usually even the filter doesnt fill with gas. Once you have a good supply to the pump, they usually kick off quite easily.

Martin

I find that often Kohler pumps ar e a little hard to prime. A clear fuel filter in the line to the pump helps to see what is going on.

I dont think the mechanical Kohler fuel pumps are very good at passing the air out of the supply line, so I find it's necessary to purge the line to the pump before you start cranking.

On an engine where the fuel line has been off, I always open the valve on the tank and let the fuel flow all the way to the end of the line before attaching it to the pump. If you dont do this usually even the filter doesnt fill with gas. Once you have a good supply to the pump, they usually kick off quite easily.

totally agree. especially on tractors where the fuel line is long, such as the 1054. need to get as much air out as possible. sort of like dealing with any hydraulic line like auto brakes etc. need to get that air out or it can be very frustrating.

one thing that always seems to work for me, after letting the line fill as much as possible by gravity, hook it to the pump and somehow pressurize(very low) the tank to force gas up further and through the pump.

on most engines i also use a syringe and fill the carb bowl with gas, usually through the bowl vent. with the kohlers after fuel line/carb work i usually just remove the hi speed needle and carefully squirt the gas through the main jet into the bowl. gives you a good start and is normally enough to get the pump to do its job and get the gas in the line the rest of the way.

can whlvr

i too have a hard time priming and have to take the line off

tunahead72

Mark,

Thanks for asking this question, I just had a similar problem with my C-105 and wasn't sure what was going on.

And thanks to the guys who responded, several good insights and suggestions in there.

You might also want to make sure your fuel line is routed correctly, here's a good thread to check if you're not sure (don't skip Terry/TT's link there). I think the main thing is you don't want any sharp bends that might trap air in the line.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24527

meadowfield

Thanks for the replies guys :banghead:

So I'm not going mad, well not completely :thumbs2:

Both tractors were C series so the tank is miles away and the juice needs to flow uphill !!

I think next time I'll jack the rear end up by a few ft (making sure oil doesn't run down the bore) :banghead:

Mark

shorts

My old Toro commercial has the fuel tank/pickup below the fuel pump and it needs to be primed to start if it sots for a day or two. I put a clear fuel line between the pump and carb so i can see the fuel level/flow. my typical prestart proceedure on that machine includes blowing in the fuel tank fill until I can see fuel flow into the carb.

I also usually keep a small squeeze bottle of gas on my tool box for trouble shooting/priming no start engines, just pull the air filter and give the carb a shot of fuel while cranking will usually be enough to get some smoke and bang from an engine.

Martin

I do the blow in the tank "procedure" too. another idea would be to install a simple inline hand primer.

buckrancher

do you have the lever on the feul pump on the

right side of the cam when you reinstalled it?

Brian

Rooster

I have added a "y" connector in the fuel line before the pump. One line goes off to pump, one to a dump valve. Then I can close the tank valve and empty that line or fill that line.

I have done this on racers where i needed to be able to suck the lines dry after running, ,the dump valve besides emptying the line allows air to be sucked in so that the pump doesn't lock up on a sealed line.

Then when ready to run again I open the tank valve, then the dump valve and it fills the charge line to the pump.

meadowfield

do you have the lever on the feul pump on the

right side of the cam when you reinstalled it?

Brian

not entirely sure what you mean?

The lever is resting on the cam and the pump works - it's just not very good at self priming at turn over speed it appears.

I was just checking I wasn't the only one who struggles to get fuel through.

It's working perfectly now :thumbs2: