Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Quick wheel question

Duff

Hi, folks!

Will the front wheels from a 520H fit my 312-8 if I don't have the mower deck on it (in other words, for pulling)?

Thanks much!

Deerman :whistle:

kj4kicks

If you change the wheel bearings, yes. The 520 uses 1" spindles, and the 312 uses 3/4". You can swap the bearings form the wheels, and not have to buy new ones.

Duff

Thanks, Eldon!

Deereman :whistle:

Curmudgeon

I can't swear it, but are the spindles the same length? And what about the difference between the bearing types? Straight versus tapered. I'm not saying they won't swap, but there is more difference than just spindle diameter.

Kelly

I think the older 520's had 3/4" spindle's???? the newer one's with the taper bearings 1" I'm pretty sure have a larger bore where the bearing goes in the rim, so you will not be able to put your smaller 3/4" bearings in them. I have some D spindles that are 3/4" and have sleaves on them to use 1" bearings, just a thought.

My two cent's

Rollerman

I can't swear it, but are the spindles the same length?

Dale is right here...520's have a 1" spindle & were infact longer than the standard type 3/4" spindles.

This is atleast true for the two I have had....earlier models may be differant?

Duff

Wow! Thanks as always for the excellent info, and advice - you saved me an embarassing and unnecessary purchase from Fleabay! :whistle:

So..... if I want to go to a taller set of front wheels on my 312-8, what's my best route?

Thanks, guys!

Deereman :WRS:

Curmudgeon

Did your 312 come with 6" wheels? If so, there are any number of tractors which used an 8" wheel that will most likely fit. In fact, just about anything other than the wheels from a 520 or D series, that are the same width. Some of the earlier ones had narrower tires and wheels.

Correct me if I'm wrong boys, and I'm sure you will!!!!!!! LOL

TT

.....and don't forget the clearance issue with the left front wheel and the 37" two blade deck. That is what prompted the use of the 6" front rims in the first place.

Duff

.....and don't forget the clearance issue with the left front wheel and the 37" two blade deck. That is what prompted the use of the 6" front rims in the first place.

Hi, guys, and thanks!

Yeah, I had caught the warning about the clearance issue with the 37" SD deck on other threads here, so I am looking for using the larger tires only when I want to use the tractor for pulling or with the grader blade.

Of course, if that 312-8 in Laconia, NH (less than an hour away from me) TT posted the link to is still available, I may have a tractor for each purpose. Now wouldn't that be just too bad? :WRS:

Duff

OK, here we go again, boys. Please bear with me....... :WRS:

Will a set of 23x9.50x12's off a 520H fit on the rear of my 312-8 or will the fender clearance, etc. be too close (ignoring the mower deck for now....)?

Thanks for your patience!

TT

The ones in ME that are listed on ebay? :WRS:

Yes, they will fit fine, and if the fronts you were asking about are THESE, they will fit too.

Note: The spindles for the 6" front wheels are a little longer, but I changed my 416H over to 8" fronts and kept the original longer spindles. It doesn't seem to affect anything either way. :whistle:

DMESS

88'-89' 520-H will work as these did not yet have the 1" spindles. 520-HC and 1990 and later 520 have the 1".

And now I see TT covered that with the ebay link!

Duff

The ones in ME that are listed on ebay? :D

Yes, they will fit fine

TT, you are one amazin' dude! Yup, the rear ones over in Freedom, ME on fleabay. My only reservation now is with the seller - he had them listed before and eBay kicked him off the auction (something called an SHMO notice, but no real explanation what that is or means) about two hours before I would have presumably won the bid. But the wheels/tires look good and worst case, Freedom isn't that far away from me in case I had to go over and, shall we say, settle things man to man.

The fronts I'm looking at are actually from a 417A also on fleabay. I'd show the link but I don't know how you go about doing that in this forum (yet). The earlier posts on this thread about the 520H fronts got me looking for something closer to my own machine.

As always, you are the greatest! :whistle:

Deereman :WRS: