Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

520h - Oil Blowing Out of Breather

mattd860

I ran the 20hp Onan on my 520H without the air filter and saw oil spraying out of the breather. I also noticed the Low Oil Pressure light was blinking. In addition the tractor puffs blue smoke out of the exhaust when I increase rpms.

I haven't done a compression test but I'm fairly certain the rings are toast due to the blue exhaust smoke. However, what would cause oil to spray out of the breather? It's not really a spray - it's more of a 'mist'.

The tractor runs fine otherwise and has a lot of power, idles smooth, and rev's up without choking. If I didn't see smoke out of the exhaust or the oil breather, or the blinking pressure light, I wouldn't even know there was a problem.

woodchuckfarmer

Sounds like my 520. It turned out to be the intake valve seats were out of the block.

condo630

Worn piston rings can cause that. Combustion gases get pat the worn rings into the crank case and blow oil mist out the breather. How many hours are on it?

I don't know what could cause the oil pressure light to flicker, I'm not familiar with pressurized oil systems.

Olratlr

I just recently put Rings in a K482-5 in a D 180 it was blowing oil out the filler tube

and at tear down found out the rings had a good 1/4 gap in them not supposed to have but thirty thousand.New Rings no blow by. :thumbs2: