Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

green k181s...

JUSS10

So i've been looking a decent K181 to throw on a project tractor i have. found one on craiglist and picked it up for $50 not knowing if it ran or not. well after a few hours of tinkering (oiling the cylinder, cleaning the head, clean and set the points, etc) finally got it to start with another carb i had on the work bench.

so here is my question, will this motor bolt on to a horse without an issue? i plan to put it on a 753 that had a K181 swapped into it already but smoked really bad. so far i have noticed a few things. first is the starter generator mount on the engine, it is for the longer generator found on the big block kohlers (which worked out well actually as i have one of those sitting around), the oil pan mounting holes are tapped for bolts and the drain plug is on the bottom of the pan.

all that said, i do have the old motor to pull parts off of if need be, just curious to see if this is a drop in deal.

justin

IMAG0215.jpg

liketoplayto

make sure the crankshaft is the same size and swap the oil pan if you have to otherwise paint it red and throw it on

Kelly

Pretty much a bolt in, the pan will bolt up, but the drain might not be in the right spot, the crank should be the same, the gen bracket is for a JD they don't mount in the same location, close but lower I think, can't remember if the blower tin has the correct holes for the WH gen guard? take the elbow off for the air cleaner, the air cleaner it's self is the same, I used a JD 8hp on a round hood so I know they fit, most 8hp Kohlers interchange, I said most.

JUSS10

thanks kelly. i got it running but it has this ticking/knocking noise... not sure what it is, sounds like a lower end thing. thinking maybe its the rod on the crank.. feels like the bearing is a little sloppy on the fly wheel side too.. well the muffler is pretty quite so i can use that and the carb, so its good for parts. may run it till it blows or do a cheaper rebuild. we'll see.

Justin