Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Wheel Horse hydraulic ram strength.

Stigian

Morning Guy's, as you know I am putting a three point linkage on the back of my 6X6 project and have been considering using the standard hydraulic ram that came with the Eaton trans..

Trouble is looking at it I'm wondering if it's up to the job of raising a 3 point with all sorts of heavy stuff hung off of it :thumbs2:

It would be nice to use the WH ram to keep as many parts as possible WH, but if it needs changing for something a bit stronger then so be it..

Any thought's on this Guy's?

shorts

I think that over the years :thumbs2: has used several different rams for the 3 pt lift depending on how and where they were mounted some of them were/are under the seat and some were on the left side behind the drive axle. I saw a C195 3pt with about a 3inch dia cylinder on the left rear upright mount/axle bracket. I think that the D series tractors use a "standard" looking cylinder that lays on top of the right side of the transaxle runnung front to back that operates a longer lever on the lift linkage.

refracman

Stigian,

On the WH tractors that came with a 3pt all used the same 3" dia cyl. for the 3pt. Both the Sunstrand and Eaton delivered approx. 700psi of working pressure. When working good they can lift around 350pds. Both my GT14 (Sunstrand) and C195 (Eaton) do anyhow with no problem.

So if I'm thinking correctly you would have to install a cyl. of greater dia. to lift more with the same pressure :thumbs2:

kpinnc

So if I'm thinking correctly you would have to install a cyl. of greater dia. to lift more with the same pressure

Ian, Steve is correct. The larger cylinder can lift much more, and it can do it far "safer" as well.

The standard WH ram used on the deck lift -usually mounted behind the left foot rest, is the one I'm assuming you're asking about. The plunger rod diameter is about 1/2 inch, but is pretty strong because it actually lifts on the "pull" stroke, or as it retracts. If down pressure is applied, then that is where you've got to be concerned with damaging it. Down pressure is applied on the "push" (extending) side of the stroke, and that's when the possibility of bending the rod comes into play. The pull side can easily lift the 60-inch mower deck, which I think is in excess of 200lbs.

I borrowed a larger cylinder from a D-series tractor for my 3-point, just to be sure I could use it wherever I mounted it. It moves plenty fast enough, and is pretty strong. It will lift my 150lb disc set with me (another 250lbs) standing on it as if we weren't even back there. The only concern I've ever had using that ram is that it can break whatever it's attached to on my tractor. You have to make sure you mount it to something that can take the load for sure.

muledrive030.jpgmuledrive155-1.jpg

I doubt you'd damage this one on most anything you can hang off the back of the 6x6, and it's very strong compared even with the standard WH ram on the 300/400/500 series tractors.

Good luck! :thumbs2:

Kevin