Sign in to follow this  
Mykol610

New Engine...

Mykol610

A little ways ago the motor in my 1057 (K181) died. I was planning on getting a new (more powerful) one anyway. So I thought of this one http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-gener...rnia-68306.html

It's roughly $350 but I can get a bit off. I'm thinking of that one cause it'd have more power for plowing in the winter time, electric start already set and it's horizontal 1" shaft.

I've already got the K181 off of my 1057 but I'm having a difficult time getting the pulley off. Is there any secret to get them off? I can't even get the key off the shaft to begin pulling it off. At last resort I'll get a new pully but I'd rather not have to.

Any thought's on what I'm going to attempt to do. Basically put the new one in place of the old... Eventually I'm going to get a few other things done but first I want to get it set for winter...

Jim_M

Loosen the set screws and soak everything with PB Blaster, wait a couple hours and try it again.

WH nut

Whats wrong with the 181, you can fix it for the money you will put into the new motor and you wont have to make any modifications. And the 181 will have all the power you need.

Mykol610

The 181 has a broken connecting rod. I could just replace it but the shop that told me about that said that there's a chance the piston and valve might need to be reworked. And it gives me a little something to play with and take apart... But as I said, I was planning on next year getting a bigger motor for it. I want to know for sure it will be able to handle the heavy snow like what we got last year in NE Ohio.

I am thinking of the 420cc "Predator" from Harbor Freight cause it would have a 1year warranty with it anyway. It will be brand new. I wouldn't need to mod anything (though I probably will) :thumbs2: but the mounting plate to get it to work. It should just be a redrill mounting holes and set it.

Coadster32

I want to know for sure it will be able to handle the heavy snow like what we got last year in NE Ohio.

th_pics053.jpg

My K181 plowing the first pass of 13inches of snow. The tractor is an 854. The motor isn't running full throttle and you can't even hear the govener kick in.

And the 181 will have all the power you need.

I agree. You wouldn't beleive it untill you see it.

I do understand about getting a new motor on and then doing the rebuild at some other time. Most likely though, you'll never pull the new motor off. Either way, good luck.

littleredrider

I have a HF 13 horse clone on my lawn ranger. Choke and throttle cables need to be modified, actually I didn't even hook up the choke, it's too short to work properly, and had to get a new full length throttle cable, needs to go in front of the engine to hook up.

I got rid of the gas tank, air filter and exhaust so it would fit under the hood. Being yours has more hood room, might not be an issue. I made a plate from 1/4" that the motor bolts to, then to the frame. This lines up the pulley's and so I didn't have to drill any holes in the frame.

I have a 32" snow blower on this, as well as a mower. With the mower I think I could mow a hay field, have yet to hear it bog down or struggle. With the blower, last snow we had was wet heavy 17", and was absolutely amazed the way it was throwing the snow. It stripped the teeth of the blower shaft.

As for getting the pulley off, make sure the set screws are loose, soak it with some penetrating oil, and if that doesn't work, use a small propane torch and heat the pulley all around. Should come right off.

2113949120043830172S600x600Q85.jpg

Coadster32

I have a HF 13 horse clone on my lawn ranger

Damn! That's some cramming. :thumbs2:

Mykol610

I just got it last night... And yes, I used the 20% off coupon. I wouldn't have gotten it if not. The only things I noticed that might need modded on it, the motor, is (possibly) the throttle and choke controls. Or I'll rivet a separate plate to the "dash" and mount a couple switches for lights I'm planning on. I mod almost everything I've ever owned. I've already got the mounting plate and motor off the 1057 so for the most part it's just getting the pulley off and mounting the motor in. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend so monday (hopefully) I'll have pics.