Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Replacement Gas Tank

Electro12WH

Has anyone come up with a gas tank to replace the stock plastic one? Maybe aluminum or stainless? Have you made one?

The plastic is durable but I don't much like the discharge valves and rubber donuts.

E12

Kelly

The earlier models (raiders, chargers) don't have the rubber gromet, just a nipple the hose attaches to.

rmaynard

The little rubber grommet has been used for decades by many companies, not just Wheel Horse. Believe it or not, one of my 1977 B-100's still has the original grommet, in the original tank, and it has never had a leak. Call it luck, or call it good engineering, it works for me.

The nice thing about the polyethylene tanks is that they don't rust (like steel) or corrode (like aluminum). The only problem is that if they crack or split, they cannot be glued.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Electro12WH

I got a rubber grommet labeled Tecumsah. It lasted a year and cracked. I have one of the old ones w/ the nipple. Do the nipples break off?

I guess my real problem is the appearance of the old faded red ones. Can I do anything other than paint it? The gas will probably ruin the paint won't it?

Kelly

The nipples do break off, but I've only broke one, as for painting, yes the gas will mess up paint, finding a clean early red tank is hard, it took me a year and I bought a tractor just for the near perfect tank, I'd try a new grommet and valve, I've never had a problem after swapping in new ones.