Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Preping For Paint

71_Bronco

So how do you guys do the prep for paint on your tractors?

I am at this point now, and am seeking advice.

I was thinking of stripping to bare metal, doing a self etching primer, light sand to get out any imperfections, and then paint. Is this the best way to go?

Also, do you guys strip to bare metal? Or do you just scuff up the existing stuff, get it nice looking (get out any lumps / fill pits), and then paint over it?

What is your favorite / best means of removing paint? I found a scotch-brite pad on a little air-powered grinder works well from the little test I ran. Took the paint off nicely, made the metal nice and smooth, and didnt remove any material.

I could also try sand-blasting the parts, I have access to the tools to do this.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the tool I am talking about. On the end of the black part is a mount for little disc', about 2" in diameter. Great for working in tight spots.

154185_lg.jpg

stevebo

I used to sand with various grit sandpaper then I tried sandblasting the parts. :banghead: I vowed to NEVER sand down a tractor again. Once it is sandblasted I use the rust converter as a pre primer. Any small pits that may have been missed will be "converted". If you do not do this the rust can come back through your nice new paint job. (been there and done that) My next step is to do the needed bodywork. Once I feel I have the bodywork where I am satisfied I will then prime it with a primer/sealer (rusto spray makes a pretty good primer). The next step is to use a high build primer then wet sand. More bodywork using the putty to fill the small inperfections then prime and wet sand again. I repeat the process until I am good with the results. Then I will do a final primer sealer, allow to dry 24 to 48 hours. Then the final paint.

I should have asked what you are looking to accomplish but that is my deal and while the paint is not perfect, it looks nice and I have no problem using the tractors. :thumbs2:

71_Bronco

The tractor is going to be a worker for sure, that's the reason I bought it. The reason I tore it down was cause part of it was red-red, and part was red-orange.

What I want, is a pretty worker. I want it to look nice, but I don't want to spend so much effort / time, that I wont wanna get on it, start it up, and use the thing like it was made for.

There is very little rust on the tractor, mostly light surface rust that the scotch-brite pad took off when I tried it.

There is no dents or dings in it, so no real body-work is needed I feel, and no rust holes to fill / weld / grind. Overall it is a very solid tractor.

stevebo

Do what I suggested but you can take a few of the bodywork steps out :thumbs2: The finishing touches are decals. I get mine from Terry.

71_Bronco

Decals you say? lol. I already spent about 100 bucks on 2 orders so far, and still have to order the 7 piece Kohler set and a few little ones here and there. lol