Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Engine Rebuild - Lessons Learned

rmaynard

Ouch!!! :thumbs2:

MaineDad

Ouch!!! :thumbs2:

That's because I spent some extra money having the head milled with steel spark plug guides installed instead of using a heli-coil. Plus I had to purchase a new drive pulley for $70. I probably could have done it for $300 to $350 otherwise...

can whlvr

i too found the kohler manual pics too be poor,just think micah you will be a pro next time

wooley12

I feel your pain Maine Dad :thumbs2: My 1976 C-120 was using a lot of oil and 5 years ago it just stopped running while my wife was on it cutting the lawn. I could rattle the piston around in the bore with my fingers. Had it rebuilt by a pro for $700. This summer it just up and quit in mid mow again!! An autopsy showed that the dipper finger on the rod just went and dropped off. This time I'm taking a different path. Cleaned the aluminum off the crank with acid. Gonna hone the bore, slap in a piston and new rod and see how far it goes. A $200 gamble and I know I'm just buying some time but life plans have me moving soon and not taking the horse with me.

pfrederi

I found the Kohler manuals easy to follow. If you have a downloaded version the pictures are pretty bad. The original version I have is pretty clear. I do not use the original much except to look at the pictures, I use a printout of a download in the shop where it might get greasy.

tunahead72

Micah,

Thanks very much for posting your experiences and insights here. I've just bookmarked this thread for future reference, so I can absorb it all again later when I need to.

I think another lesson from all this is to make sure you're completely comfortable with any machine shop or professional rebuilder you're considering handing your engine over to. I had a K241 rebuilt three years ago, by a local guy who'd been in business for several years. I didn't check him out as carefully as I should have, didn't ask for references, didn't ask enough other questions, and it all eventually bit me in the arse.

And to echo Martin's observations, I'm trying really hard not to dwell on the experience, but to learn from it and not make the same mistakes again.

Good luck with this engine, you've earned it! :thumbs2:

rmaynard

I found the Kohler manuals easy to follow. If you have a downloaded version the pictures are pretty bad. The original version I have is pretty clear. I do not use the original much except to look at the pictures, I use a printout of a download in the shop where it might get greasy.

There is a 14.1 MB downloadable .PDF available from the following Kohler site that is very clear.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm