Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsenut69

wheel horse 520 vs 416h

wheelhorsenut69

i am going to be in the market very soon for a new garden tractor and of course it is going to be a wheel horse how ever i am torn between the king of the horses the 520 big boy or the smaller 416 model the pros in my opinion for the 520 is the big 20 hp onan engine that can blow through any snow drift it wants with a two stage blower and the slick looking body and the lift and directional control levers mounted under the steering wheel the con the engine seams too have lots more problems than the smaller 16hp onan in the 416 so i want to pick one i have found several 520s in the area but not a lot of 416's why is this i wonder???? :D i would rather in all honesty get a 416 because that would be big enough for my 4 acre home and would do what i want it to just fine....Just recently i found one that had with a 48'' sd deck for 1500$ but he wanted my beloved 1969 raider 12 with the deck and the sickle and the snow blower and tiller and the digger and the belly blade and the 42" push blade on trade as part off the deal. How could that be i thought my attachments alone are worth 1,000 $ i have more than that in them????? however after doing some investigating of my own i have found sevral 520's and 416's in the 2000 $ range but it would cost me 1000$ to get there and back :banghead: why does it always have to be a struggle i wish i lived closer to some off these advanced members that sell these tractors in the average joe's price range What is a straight nice 416h with a 48 sd deck that has under 750 hours on it worth :thumbs2: and are the 520's more comin then the 416's?????? love to hear from the folks on this???? thanks AMp :banghead:

CRE1992

1) Where do you live?

2) Whats your price range?

jtmoyer

i have slowed down the 20 horse on some snow drifts with the 2 stage. for tilling and mowing i never noticed a difference in the 520 and 416. i sold a 416 a few years ago with a 48" deck and plow for $900. i have a 520 i would sell now for $900 with no attachments.

kpinnc

Just food for thought:

The P216 on the 416-H and the P220 on the 520-H are the exact same block. The bore size is the same. Only the stroke, displacement, and carburetor settings are different. In other words, the 16HP is only a "de-rated" 20HP. If both tractors are hydros, the transmissions are also identical.

The real "selling point" of the 520 only comes into play if it has the swept forward axle (post 1990) and steering, wider rear wheels, and a few more creature comforts. They also tend to have more bells and whistles as well. Otherwise, there's very little difference between them.

In short, it's all gonna come down to exactly how much those few extra goodies are worth to you.

Good luck with your decision.