Sign in to follow this  
Will G

Briggs 11 hp overspeeding

Will G

alright now that i got my charging issue figured out, I need to get the governor figuered out on this motor. the model number is 252417-0198-01 and the date code is 790311, and I have the governor adjusted to the factory method in the l-head service manual, but at anything over about 3/4 throttle, it sounds as if the motor is overspeeding. when the motor sounds like it is overspeeding, i can see that the governor is trying to bring the rpms back to 3600, as the arm is moving the throttle plate open and closed, and the rpms seem to be moving up and down. could the governor have come apart in the block?

Will G

Ok,

did some more investigating into this issue and found a couple of things wrong,

one was the gasket between the carb and intake tube was missing (made a new one in 5 min.), installing the gasket stopped the surging problem i was having.

the governor spring between the governor arm and the throttle control slider appears to be the wrong one

the link rod between the governor arm and throttle plate looks pretty messed up, so I'll either make or purchase a new one.

when I shut the motor down, i hear something spinning and then stop a few seconds later, so I have reason to believe that something is messed up with the plastic governor gear inside the motor.

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated