Sign in to follow this  
pwf209

My first Wheel Horse project

pwf209

Hi, I am a newbie and just wanted to post a couple of pictures of the 1975 B-80 that I rehabbed for my son as a housewarming gift. I wish I had taken a couple of before pictures since it was fairly rough.

I would like to thank the members of this forum for the wealth of information I was able to access as the project progressed. I know it is not a show quality restoration like some I have seen here but I figured it was intended to be used and would no doubt get a few dings and scratches along the way anyway.

DSCN1436.jpg

I was fortunate to find that the founder of Norms Wheel Horse Barn is retired and living just a few miles from me. He was a great help with information and parts, along with some Wheel Horse history. Thank you Norm. :banghead:

DSCN1435.jpg

It still smokes a little but I figure rebuilding the engine will be a good wintertime project. We tried it out today and it mows like a champ. I feel a lot better about giving him this than I would a cheapie mower that would just need to be replaced in a couple of years. Besides, mowing is more fun on a classic and how many other riders have hood ornaments?

DSCN1439.jpg

Other than a clutch problem that produced a wheelie high enough to eject me off the back of the tractor :banghead: and resulted in a short driverless trip (full throttle- third gear) across the yard and into the side of the neighbors pickup truck :thumbs2: the whole project went amazingly well.

Fortunately the neighbor has a sense of humor and the damage to the newly painted tractor (still visible in these pictures) was slight and easily repaired. Who knew that 8 horses could get so unruly?

Martin

first.... :thumbs2:

and that tractor looks real nice, hope your son enjoys it. much nicer than mowing on something modern, and im sure he will get some looks from passers by as he mows......

massey

Good choice for a housewarming gift it looks great and I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

mr.pipes

It looks good and that sure is a nice house warming gift.

Do you have any photos of you chasing it and catching up to it just after it hit the neighbors truck?

:thumbs2:

MikesRJ

:banghead:

I wish your son many years of success with the machine. :thumbs2:

JimD

What a great thing to do for your son. :thumbs2: Oh , and :banghead::banghead: on the restoration. :D

COMMANDO6

Very nice. Hood ornaments is the way to go! :thumbs2: :banghead:

dclarke

Nice job and excellent choice for your son, I'm sure he'll enjoy it. :thumbs2:

WH nut

Will you give me one when I buy a new house :thumbs2:

546cowboy

Great looking tractor and I'll just bet your son is really proud of it and his father. That's the way I do restores, so they can be used by someone that enjoys them.

71_Bronco

Very nice tractor, great job with the resto, and great idea.

I am currently still living at home :banghead: , and am saving for a house. I am restoring a Bronco 14 for the same reasons you did, better quality machine, classic machine, durable, rugid etc etc. I figured that while I live at home (and have the help of my dad), that I would restore the tractor and this way, when I move out, I will have a bad@$$ tractor to mow with / do lawn chores with, and it will last me many many years.

Now go out there and enjoy / use that bad boy :thumbs2:

SAM58

Hello and :thumbs2:

Very good restore, I have seen a lot worst at the shows.... :banghead:

:banghead:

HorseFixer

:banghead: :thumbs2: Looks like a nice Horse.

~Duke

can whlvr

:banghead: looks good to me and what pride your son will have when he tells people my dad rebuilt this tractor :thumbs2:

pwf209

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback!!

I WISH I had some footage of me trying to catch that tractor, I'm sure just the expression on my face would have been priceless. A lesser tractor would have been severely damaged. That little B-80 dug a pretty good sized hole trying to push that truck over!!

I can see how these Wheel Horse tractors can really lure you in. I remember looking longingly at them on the showroom floor years ago.

Even though I'm already the 'King of Unfinished Projects' I think I might keep my eyes peeled for another one, someday. After all, it's always more fun to start a new project than finish an old one, right?

One thing I could still use is the correct gas tank. Someone substituted a much smaller one alopng the way. It works for now but I'd like to have the right one.

Again, thanks for the nice comments and the help along the way.

Pat

rexman72

:thumbs2: