Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

How to drain a flooded tractor

littleredrider

Friggin great. I check my storage earlier this morning and wasn't too bad. I go get the trailer to get the ranger and the 854, and have at least 2' of water and still rising and even better, more rain on the forecast.

So, drain and flush the motor, tranny and fuel. What about the s/g on the 854? That was rebuilt and works great. Time to find a new storage unit...... :banghead::thumbs2: :banghead:

MikesRJ

What about the s/g on the 854?

Open it up and flush with distilled water and blow out with compressed air. Allow to air dry a few days indoors and reassemble. Hitting the commutator lightly with scotch-brite wouldn't hurt, just make sure you blow everything out with compressed air.

shorts

I always build a shop version of the ez bake oven, set up an incadesent 100a lightbulb/leadlight on a fire resistant surface, lay a couple of bricks on either side, grate from an old oven,fridge,grill, etc., put the armature and housing on the grate, build a teepee frame or open ended box oround the parts cover loosely with plastic and turn the light on for a couple of days, you want to heat everything up thoughrly without boiling the water and causing steam damage to the insulating material and varnish. take the cover off of the regulater and put it in the oven with the armature and field coils.

remove the battery from the tractor and try a trickle charge on it the battery acid is heavier than water and when it flooded the water shorted the terminals and discharged it, usually the water on the outside of the case dissipates any excessive heat without damaging the internal plates.

the rest of the electrical system connections should be disassembled, cleaned, dried and reassembled with a touch of dielectric grease or WD40 at each connection. blow out the solinoid and ignition switch as bes t you can, they may be a problem and need to be replaced in the future. don't forget the points and to remove the plug wire from the coil and blow the coil out real well