Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

"Snapper" Tractors, Any Good?

71_Bronco

There is a guy down the street that has an older snapper out in his yard for sale. Kinda looks like the one in the pic below. Not sure about a deck or any attachments for it.

Is it worth it to stop and ask about it? Or are these bad juju, and I should just drive on?

Thanks

327078.jpg

CRE1992

It depends what model it is, snappers are good tractors, depends on the model though. Get back to us with the model, and a picture since you posted a blank...

MikesRJ

I've always been very fond of Snapper! :thumbs2:

71_Bronco

Fixed the original post for picture. Looks like the one I posted is a model 1855.

How do these compare to the wheel horse? I am restoring a 71 Bronco 14 right now, and curious as to how it stacks up to that one.

CRE1992

If its a 1855 grab it, if its cheap! There great tractors!

IthacaJeff

There is a Massey-Ferguson garden tractor for sale on our local CL right now that

looks exactly like the Snapper. I'm guessing they are the same. . . but who made

them, Snapper or M-F or someone else?

Oh, he wants $2,000 for it.

rydogg

I have had a couple of the Snapper 1650 models which are similar to the 1855 the motors are different (16hp single cylinder vs. 18 or 20hp twin) and I believe the 1855 was longer/heavier built. These are very well built big heavy machines like the D series horses. The transmission is a foot controlled hydro trans with hi/lo and 6 speeds so you can hold the pedal all the way down instead of trying to keep it in the middle for a slower speed, the 50 series were eaton and the 55 series were sunstrand. The attachments are hydraulic lift which is great since the deck is very heavy and so is the snowthrower. The deck is gear driven like the older wheel horses but the blades overlap so the snapper deck needs to be timed so the blades don't hit. I purchased mine cheap so I sold them cheap but these are collected and the 1855 is the more desired model for collectors since it is the biggest one they made and many of them came with rear pto and 3pt.

attachment.jpg

attachment-2.jpg

CRE1992

the 50 series is different from the 55 serious because the 55 series had 26" tires to my knowledge.

JimD

I've always been very fond of Snapper! :thumbs2:

:banghead::banghead::D :thumbs: