Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Anyone ever Make the Swap?

HorseFixer

Well since the allusive 520 hasnt come along for the right price has anyone ever installed a Kohler Twin on a C-120? One thing I dont like about it is the 1975 C-120 has that spindley Azz gas tank under the hood up front and thats a pisser to fill and with a twin thats gonna eat the fuel and fill ups will be alot more frequent :thumbs: Sooo Will a twin fit under the hood? :D If anyone has any ideas on an external gas tank for this application Id like to hear it. The second option is I know a guy that has a later model C-160 that has the rear gas tank maybe that would be the rought to go? :thumbs2: If that be the case has anyone put a twin on one of those? please give me your thoughts :banghead::banghead:

Cheers ~Duke

:thumbs:

can whlvr

is the 160 motor shot,if not i think you would be impressed with power of the single lung,i get some heavy snow up here and the 160 never lets me down

SousaKerry

Well I installed a KT-17 series II on my C-125 however I will admit I used parts from a C-175 I would go with the rear fuel tank option, you will need the extra room freed up from relocating the the battery to where the fuel tank was. the center line of the engine is higher so the belt guard will need to be reworked and the belt will be longer.

You may be able to get away with some 417 parts as the C-175 was a shaker table mounted engine that is unless you want to mount it on a shaker table. oh and the hoop for the clutch is different also.

Good luck, should be a fun project. :thumbs2:

CRE1992

Maybe someone would trade you for a K341 :thumbs2:

Either way goodluck!

HorseFixer

Well I installed a KT-17 series II on my C-125 however I will admit I used parts from a C-175 I would go with the rear fuel tank option, you will need the extra room freed up from relocating the the battery to where the fuel tank was. :banghead:

Sousa well I think you guys know what I'm up to, :thumbs: I'm thinking of putting the spare 17 twin in the Snow Chucker. The 160 auto I was thinking of useing a guy has that I could PU, that is missing an engine. :thumbs2: I really was hoping for an easy swap out because I didnt want to get into a major deal before winter. :thumbs: The other Disadvantage of a C-120 Auto besides the gas tank location is you have to loosen the snowcab from the fenders to check the hydro oil by flipping open the rear fender pan which is a pain in the arse :D Nothing is ever easy I guess. :banghead:

~Duke

wh500special

Duke,

I don't know for sure, but the twin might not fit behind the grill of the older tractor w/ o interference. The first twins, the '78 c161's, had a 'glass black hood. And of course the c1X5 tractors had their longer hood for their twins with front mounted mufflers...

In short, it might not fit without lengthening the hood. Dunno.

I'm sending you a pm regarding a 520...

Steve

kthack657

Hey Duke,

See about talking to My husband Jim, he converted a raider 12 and put a 19 horse opposed engine in, I know he had to swap some parts out, and happened to part out a C series tractor that had the gas tank under the seat, so with a lot of work it is do-able, but the engine would not have fit if the gas tank was under the hood too.

Hope this helps

Karen

pfrederi

I put a KT17 into a C-81. However used a C175 Dash unit and hood.