Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

What's the Chance?

HorseFixer

Three years ago, I purchased a 417A from Kelly with a froze up engine. I figured someday I would run accross a replacement engine which I did a year later. The frozen up 17 hp engine I took off the Tractor a few months back and when I did it indeed was frozen up tighter than Ole ***** Hatband. :thanks: I also noticed the starter was engaged on the flywheel and stuck :D I then took the plugs out at that time and shot some Amsoil Engine Fogging Oil in each cylinder and Sea Foam around the starter gear just for grins & giggles Well today I decided to clean the engine which I did, and after I got an inch thick of grease & crud off of it I took a big screw driver between the flywheel fins and pryed clockwise and it budged :thumbs: I then moved it :thumbs2: in the opposite direction then back again and After about 20 times back and forth it freed up enough to turn over I sprayed some sea foam in the Cylinders again and let it set for a few hours. I then got out my starter/battery charger threw a rag over each head (plugs were out) and laid the juice to her. It blew the sea foam oil and Amsoil out of the cylinder all over the rags and then blew each rag off the heads from the air blowing out through the plug holes. :banghead:

I dont have time to do anymore on it tonight MJ and I are going out, but what are my odds that this engine will run okay? Anyone had one that ran after frozen up? Or is there Anything I should do before trying to start it from what I have said Ive done allready? :thumbs: Any thoughts would be appreciated. :banghead:

~Duke

boovuc

Hey Duke!

I'd say there is a good chance. I'd clean it up, change out the oil, drop the piston to it's lowest point on each cylinder and touch it with a little oil spray, see if it has any gas into the carb and, (as they say), what the hell. :thumbs2:

You have nothing to lose! If you have a spare motor, now you have a parts motor and maybe more!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

smoreau

Over fill the oil just a little and crank it over for about a min. or two. Add some gas and see what happens :banghead: A least you will know what you have, Mine wasn't seized and it was sitting for 3 years outside with with no carb, coil, or points in it. Well after replacing the missing items, I t fired right up and run good. But it burns about 1/2 a qt. of oil to a tank of gas :thumbs2: But runs great and has lots of power! :banghead: Only time will tell if its any good. I hope it works out good for ya Duke!! Always nice to have a spare engine on hand :D

Scott

can whlvr

i acquired a mortar mixer about ten years ago that had the honda 8 hp seized solid from sitting ,i did as you did,worked it slowly and i use that mixer all the time and she runs good,it doesnt have the power that a new one has but it runs and has for years

shorts

if it cranks and has compression it only needs spark and fuel to see what you have, start it and run it at high idle untill it's good and warm before you try to idle it or run at speed or load.

HorseFixer

Well today I removed the heads cleaned them up good also top of pistons & valves and hardware and head gaskets. I then sprayed the head gaskets down with a few light coats of aluminum paint, (ole trick my small engine guru told me about) :banghead: Anyways I reinstalled the heads, New Plug & Wires, Put my Ruff Muff back on :D Wired up the coil. I got my Charger / Engine Starter out for my power source. I wired everything up and then installed My temp fuel source (plastic gas tank on stool) :thumbs: Shot the juice to the starter and after a couple attempts she fired right off. :banghead: She puffed a little smoke at first but she them smoothed right out and ran pretty good! :thumbs2: Nothing like getting the bonus of a second engine! :thumbs: Well here are some pics. And Movie of her running.

DSCN3749.jpg

DSCN3750.jpg

DSCN3753.jpg

can whlvr

thats good news duke,its a nice bonus too get her running