Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

1974 Raider 10 engine swap..

Stigian

Why "yet again"???

I'd better explain with a little history.. It took quite a while to work out that history though as this poor little Raider has been through a few engines :thumbs2:

This is how it looked when I bought it from the (then) local agricultural auction..

R10ES1.jpg

Many months later it emerged from the Workshack looking a lot better but the engine never ran as well as it should..

R10ES2.jpg

To try and help the engine out I treated it to a barrel hone and a new set of piston rings.

It rewarded me by locking up solid and trashing the con-rod and crankshaft :banghead:

R10ES3.jpg

New engine time me thinks!

A little Fleabay shopping found me this 12hp engine at a very cheap price.

The old adage of "you get what you pay for", was true with this engine, I can't remember quite why it was scrapped but at a guess I'd say very worn..

R10ES4.jpg

Then came along this 1971 Raider 10 that I rescued from some local-ish woods.

Trouble was someone at some point in the past had broken off one of the head bolts flush with the top of the barrel..

Having no accurate way of drilling it out (I didn't have the pillar drill at the time), the engine got pushed under a bench and left for when I could sort it out instead of being installed in the '74 Raider!!

R10ES5.jpg

Third time lucky then..

This time I bought a running engine, it came as part of this 314-8 that was down on it's luck..

R10ES6.jpg

The engine swap in progress in the outdoor Workshack.

R10ES7.jpg

Looks like it was original fitment.... Other than the colour :thanks:

R10ES8.jpg

And that was how the Raider 10 or was it a Raider14 stayed for quite a while..

The engine chugging away very happily...

And then.......... Dum Dum Dummmmmm...

I bought this C-125 in kit form from Jim (Mith)..

I had all the parts needed to get it up and running apart from.. Yep you guessed it.. An engine :banghead:

R10ES9.jpg

So the Raider 14 was demoted to a Raider 00 while the C-125 became a C-145!!

R10ES10.jpg

Confused yet???? I am :D

Now I now a lot of you guy's quite like a "Black hood", but it didn't take me long to realize that the "Black Hood Looks" were not for me..

So up on Fleabay it went only for me to part-ex it for a.. Yep, another C-125!!

R10ES11.jpg

This C-125 didn't stay in one bit for long, a quick drive around the garden to check that everything worked, then the engine was pulled out to go in the little Raider 10.

This C-125 was and still vaguely is the starting point for my Raider 20 6X6 project..

Anyway, engine pulled out..

R10ES12.jpg

To replace the "now installed with fixed head bolt but still not running at that point" K241 that came from the "In the woods" Raider 10..

R10ES13.jpg

To try and cut a long story a bit shorter (although it may be too late for that :thumbs: ) the C-125's 12hp engine didn't make it into the Raider as I would of had to drill holes in the chassis to make it fit, something I did not want to do... At the time!!

Instead I pulled my finger out and got the still installed K241 running by converting it to run a set of points instead of the very much "not working" kinda electronic ignition that the engine had installed form the factory...

And the C-125's 12hp engine...... It ended up in this C-121 as a quick fix to get it up and running.

R10ES14.jpg

Now if you have been keeping up you will of worked out that the spare engine I now have is from the C-121, a (according to the seller) a very nice running K301AS!!

As seen here looking at it's new home...

R10ES15.jpg

History lesson over, I'd better get on with the engine swap :thumbs:

Stigian

So why am I changing the Raiders engine now??

Well to be honest it has always burnt quite a lot of oil and never really ran as well as it should and I seem to be tinkering with it to try and keep it running every time I need to cut the grass.. I guess it has the right to start showing it's age after 40 years of use, and it's kept the grass cut for the past couple of years so I can't complain too much :banghead:

But when it started pumping more gas out the air cleaner than into the carb I knew it's days were numbered.. That was Thursday..

So Yesterday was engine transplant day :D

Poor thing... It's not to know what's about to hit it :banghead:

R10ES17.jpg

"Off with your hood"!!

R10ES19.jpg

Safety first, drain the tank of gas and start the engine to use up any left in the system.. Although this engine isn't a good runner it has always been a very good starter, and once again fired up first turn of the key!!

Gas tank and battery out..

R10ES20.jpg

When I took the PTO off I had a bit of a surprise!!

Can you spot what's wrong here?

R10ES21.jpg

Yep, that's right.. The friction material has been glued onto the the back of the pulleys!!

I had forgotten all about that being done, I think the PTO bit's came off the second C-125.. It worked well though :thumbs2:

R10ES22.jpg

A bit of "Massey style" engine centering trickery later..

R10ES23.jpg

And out came the engine..

R10ES24.jpg

More to come later chap's, I've got to nip off and start cooking dinner..

Chilli con carne tonight :thumbs:

meadowfield

And I thought I was mad... :thumbs2:

Can't wait for the next installment

Stigian

And I thought I was mad...

I like being mad.... It's quite fun :thanks:

The next installment is here, slightly later than previously advertized :thumbs:

As the new engine has one of those rubber mounted cradle thingys I thought it would be easier to dig out a spare cradle to work out the new mounting holes. Better than than lugging a heavy engine around.

R10ES25.jpg

It was at this point I found the engine centering clamped bracket thing was right where the front of the engine cradle thingy would go.. :thumbs2:

Then I remembered that the chassis (ex C-125) of my 6X6 project had mounting holes for both types of engine mountings :ROTF:

Plonk the engine cradle on the 6X6 and mark which holes are the mounting for the cradle..

R10ES26.jpg

Cardboard time..

The bolts go through the cardboard into the original Raider engine holes..

R10ES27.jpg

Transfer over to the 6x6 chassis..

R10ES28.jpg

And mark the cradle mounting holes on the card.. With a hammer :D

R10ES29.jpg

If your hammers are as dirty as mine they will leave a nice mark on the card just the right size..

R10ES30.jpg

Back on the Raider chassis and one hole lines up.. That's one less to drill :banghead:

R10ES31.jpg

Speaking of drilling.. Three holes done..

R10ES35.jpg

One needed a bit of file work as the hole I had to drill was too close to another hole :thumbs:

R10ES36.jpg

The moment of truth......

Did I drill all the holes in the right places????

Yep :banghead:

Bolting these engine cradle thingys onto the chassis is always fun at the front..

But with the aid of a trolley under the axle one side, you can just about fit a ratchet on the other side..

Easier than dropping the front axle off :USA:

R10ES37.jpg

Now the spare cradle is bolted on...

R10ES38.jpg

I'd better take it off and fit the engine....

But first.... Food time again.. Roast chicken tonight :D

Stigian

Before you ask... No I have not been eating all this time :D

Before the engine went in, it needed a bit of looking at.. Er.. to make it better to look at!!

As you know the cowling is a bit rusted but until it's next to a complete cowl?? it's a little bit hard to work out how much rust damage there is... Quite a lot as it happens!!

R10ES32.jpg

Despite this rusty dirty mess inside all the cowling bolts came undone with no problems!!

I was expecting at least a couple of bolt to snap!!

R10ES33.jpg

Cleaned out and looking much better.

The cowl is actually from the Raiders original K241 engine, so a bit of it lives on, on the replacement engine.

R10ES34.jpg

A bit of a struggle later (mostly getting the engine off the bench) the engine was bolted in it's new home.

R10ES39.jpg

The drive belt lines up well, so I must of done something right :banghead:

R10ES40.jpg

And this is how the Raider stood at the end of Friday, with the engine in and the hood thrown on, as it's a handy place to stash it out the way :thumbs:

R10ES41.jpg

Catching up a bit now, as today was "sort the wiring" out day..

The new engine came with a complete C-125 loom, some of which I didn't need.

R10ES42.jpg

So the wiring diagram got a few mod's as well, to save me getting confused over bit's I don't need :thumbs:

R10ES43.jpg

The loom looking a right "rat's nest" with all the insulation removed :thumbs2:

R10ES44.jpg

And wired up...

The white insulation tape marks the places where joins need soldering..

I won't solder them or re-wrap the loom until I know everything works as it should.

R10ES45.jpg

Not much left of the muffler!!! The grinder soon had the clamp cut off.

R10ES46.jpg

Fuel system, air cleaner and a muffler left to go on..

Getting there now, I can almost smell the fumes :thanks:

R10ES48.jpg

And this folks is the Raider at the end of today..

It has a nice strong spark but no "move juice" is finding it's way to the carb!!

With gas in the tank, new gas pipe and filter, it looks like the fuel pump has given up the ghost!!

Never mind, it won't take long to sort in the morning :banghead:

R10ES49.jpg

meadowfield

Ian,

if it's anything like my C-105, I thought the fuel pump was duff on that...

I removed if from the block and it would suck/blow when blocked up. Turned out there was a small leak in the hoses - I just replaced them all !

Do the diaphrams often fail in the pumps? I would hope it's not that frequent, gas in the oil is not a good thing :thumbs2:

Good luck in the morning!!!!

mark

Stigian

Morning guy's, well no running engine.. Hopefully today..

When the duff fuel pump was taken off and opened up we found it to be so full of nasty white crud, the poor thing had no chance of working..

This photo was taken after we scraped some of the crud out!!

R10ES50.jpg

So with another working pump bolted on, attention turned to the carb..

Quite surprisingly the carb was quite clean inside, but to make sure it got dismantled and left in a couple of tubs of vinegar overnight to help clean it out..

I'm not looking forward to blowing all the vinegar out with the airline later :thumbs2:

R10ES51.jpg

Do the diaphrams often fail in the pumps? I would hope it's not that frequent, gas in the oil is not a good thing

I don't know if the diaphragms often fail in these fuel pumps Mark, but you have just given me a nasty thought!!

The Raiders old (last) engine got through way too much petrol and burnt vast amounts of oil!! A split diaphragm would cause both problems!!

I'd better check the new fuel pump that was bolted on yesterday.. As it came from the Raiders old engine!!!

Anglo Traction

Hi Ian, I think the Diaphrams are pretty resilient. the 3 pumps I've stripped out and re-built have all been good. Strangely enough, the Plastic Bodied Pump on my 1981 K301 is more worn than my earlier 70's ones (metal bodied). It is still fixable though.

If that diaphram cleans up ok, keep it as a spare.

I assume you are no longer in need of a Carb now?.

Glad to hear your feeling a tad better and Juggling 2 projects at once.

Regards

Stigian

Hi Richard, your right about the Diaphrams being quite resilient, I've pulled apart four pumps over the past days and not found any splits!!

Found plenty of other stuff, Strangely mostly in the plastic pumps!!

More on that in a bit..

You assume correct about the carb Sir :banghead:

Trying to juggle two projects at the same time hasn't quite worked out..

Sorting this Raider out has taken taken up all of my Workshack time, with just about nowt being done on the 6x6!!

I left the last update with bits of carb drowning in a bath of vinegar, well the parts all came out looking a lot better.. and after one final clean.....

R10ES52.jpg

Rebuilt with a coat of paint and a freshly made cardboard gasket.

R10ES53.jpg

After finding lot's of crud in the K301's fuel pump and Andy's mention of split diaphrams, I thought I would crack open my spare plastic pumps to see what state they were inside!!

Er!!!!!!

R10ES55.jpg

And the next one!!!!

R10ES56.jpg

I guess some water had found it's way in!!

Hhhmm.. So do I crack open the pump from the 71 Raider engine which works to see if it also had crud in it, or not open it on the grounds of it works? :thumbs2:

R10ES58.jpg

Once opened it was found to be not too bad, and after a very good clean out it was bolted back on the engine along with the carb.

R10ES59.jpg

Ok Folk's, it's video time :D

This is the engines first run in over 10 years!!

Engine Start-up video link thingy

Running, but not running right!!

It was then I noticed the fuel bowl on the carb was leaking vast amounts of gas!!!

Gasoline... Good stuff for washing fresh paint off of carbs :thumbs:

R10ES60.jpg

So... On went the carb from the 71 Raider engine with the main jet from the rebuilt carb.. But you might of noticed that from the vid :thumbs:

R10ES61.jpg

With the replacement carb on the engine was running a bit better (and with no leaks) but was still not right...

Then I noticed the coil bracket was broken and sparking against cowl :banghead:

So whip the coil off of the old engine..

R10ES62.jpg

Coil changed, engine still not running right!!

I'd had enough by that point, so I packed up for the day!!

Stigian

The next day, a fresh day.. Armed with a fresh mug of coffee and a new idea :thumbs2:

With a lot of help from this handy "static engine timing guide" by T-mo (thanks Terry)

it was time to give the engine timing a good look at..

T-Mo K series static engine timing link

"Look for the S on the fly wheel" through that little hole!! Lol, I couldn't see it..

R10ES64.jpg

So... Off came the cover again!!

R10ES65.jpg

At this point I forgot to take any photo's as I was too busy, but check out the video below to see how the engine runs now :banghead:

Engine running right at last video link thingy

And thus ends this engine swap marlarky...

What should of been a simple job has taken far far longer than I first thought it would :banghead:

WH Raider10

Very nice,she runs great!!! :banghead: :thumbs2:

meadowfield

looking and sounding great !

mark

Lars

Sound good now :banghead:

You have done a lot of work on it :banghead:

Annyone here knows sombody who has a gas tank for a raider 10..

it's a big hole in mine :thumbs2: so i just use an temporary tank..

condo630

Thanks for the story. I enjoy your commentary.

:thumbs2:

Stigian

Very nice,she runs great!!!

Thank you Pieter, I still need to tweak the carb settings a bit, I will do that now it's had a bit of a run.

looking and sounding great !

Ta muchly Mark :thumbs2:

Sound good now.

You have done a lot of work on it smile.

Annyone here knows sombody who has a gas tank for a raider 10..

it's a big hole in mine so i just use an temporary tank..

Yep, the little Raider certainly had lot's of work over the years.

Sorry I can't help with the gas tank, your best bet is to keep checking ebay..

You never know what will turn up there :banghead:

Thanks for the story. I enjoy your commentary.

Your welcome Chris, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Not much to report really other than the Little Raider had er... quite a good run yesterday to test the engine out.....

But.....

Your going to have to wait a while for me to edit the video..

It will be worth the wait :banghead:

To tide you over for now have a photo of Garry during the test run..

R10ES67.jpg