Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

A long long day....

meadowfield

Picked up another 3 Horses on friday, thanks to Neil !

We had already done a deal on a C-121 for my son and as its a 530 mile round trip (Yorkshire to Somerset) - I managed to make the trip worthwhile and collect two C-105's as well !!!

I left them in the garden to get acquianted with the other horses for a few days and today decided to have a look to see what needed doing.

The C-121 is missing a few parts from the engine - air cleaner, points cover and there is no fuel hose/filter. The wiring might be serviceable....

The first C-105 looks quite complete but for a missing seat, closer inspection shows poor wiring and the throttle and choke cables are seized in the outers. Wiring is is reasonable shape but for a few joins that seem unnecessary !

Steering is pretty well seized, but has the later adjustable tie rods so a bonus!

The second C-105 has a tidy hood with decals, and looks the closest to a runner...

So I set about getting her going!!!!

Firstly the wiring is a nightmare - the wires to the ignition were cut/joined and in the wrong order! So I just bypassed that - 12V to the coil and a screwdriver across the solenoid (solenoid is shot - will not even click! )

Engine turns !

Undo spark plug...check for spark - spark plug works !!!

Pour gas in barrel, put plug back

Screwdriver across solenoid... engine starts for 5 seconds !! :banghead:

Turn engine more... nothing happening

Remove float bowl...clean crap out

try again... nothing !

Drain old gas - kill lawn... oops ! :banghead:

Fresh fuel...try again - nothing !

Suck fuel through - yuck

Remove fuel pump - check it works - it draws and doesn't leak

Notice fuel hose is split from pump to carb - replace

Short solenoid out, engine spins and fuel draws through.... nothing !

Notice coil has no power ...doh ! :thumbs2:

Add power and try again ! Success :thumbs:

Drop hood - jump on and run around the lawn, all gears seem ok. This one might just see restoration :D

augusthaul1.jpg

1st stop at the services to check they were not moving around...

augusthaul2.jpg

C-121 unloaded in it's new home

augusthaul3.jpg

Engine running on one of the C-105's !

augusthaul4.jpg

A quick spin around the garden !

Many thanks again Neil - look forward to catching up again sometime soon!

mark

Anglo Traction

Hi Mark, Yep! Your well and truely Hooked on :banghead: s :thumbs2: .

Good haul though! and I presume we're looking at your next spare time projects for the forseeable future.

If you need it , I'll have a spare complete Air Filter Unit (minus the wingnut).

The solenoids can be dismantled, cleaned out and riveted/sealed back together easily as long as the actuator coil is ok..... if you want to that is.

Look forward to seeing the progress of your intentions for these, if only to see someone making more progress than I am at the moment :banghead:

mavfreak

Mark, despite the down falls it appears that it was a pretty good haul. I would be pleased with having them. Good luck

neil

Good to see you and your son get home safely Mark.

I Knew with a little tinkering you would get them going , Unfortunatly i never had the time to carry out the work on them that was needed.

Im sure you will have lots of fun with them and if nothing else you will have loadsa parts .

I look forward to seeing them restored to their former glory.

My wife is also happy now she has a parking place back now that i have reluctently sold 3 tractors , But im glad that someone will give them the attention they needed and i didnt want to see them spend another winter outside .

Enjoy

meadowfield

Hi Mark, Yep! Your well and truely Hooked on :D s :banghead: .

Good haul though! and I presume we're looking at your next spare time projects for the forseeable future.

If you need it , I'll have a spare complete Air Filter Unit (minus the wingnut).

The solenoids can be dismantled, cleaned out and riveted/sealed back together easily as long as the actuator coil is ok..... if you want to that is.

Look forward to seeing the progress of your intentions for these, if only to see someone making more progress than I am at the moment :banghead:

Richard,

yes we are addicted, I've got rather a few parts in stock too !

If you do have a spare air filter inc screws to mount to the carb body then I'll take it !!!

Incidentally, you can make a nice modern M6 stainless wingnut fit nicely with a 1/4" tap :thumbs:

Might have a look at splitting the solenoid - last two I had worked but the bolt inserts have given up and now spin with the nut :thumbs2:

cheers

mark

meadowfield

Update !!!!

after cleaning the carb, adding fresh fuel the second C-105 is alive too !!! :banghead:

Thats possibly two new batteries I will be buying :thumbs2:

The C-121 isn't going to be that easy - noticed it needs a points cover too !

Anglo Traction

If you do have a spare air filter inc screws to mount to the carb body then I'll take it !!!

Ok Mark, I'll keep it aside for you. I have the Body to Carb Screws and I think I've got a Filter that was fitted but the engine was never run with it in.

May also be able to spare a Gasket. I'll check it out and send you a PM.

Regards.

meadowfield

after further work on the C-121's engine, it's geting a little more complicated!

There was a screw through the bottom of the float bowl ?!? presumably to fix or create a leak...

but...

there was loads of silicone sealant on all of the bowl. threads - everywhere :thumbs2:

presumably to stop a leak !

inside it was full of crud - I think it needs replacing :banghead:

I though I'd unscrew the spark plug to check for a spark...

It unscrewed very easily, with bits of thread falling in the barrel :banghead:

there was little or no thread left, looks like it's been crossthreaded or over tightened.

There are also 2 vanes broken on the head as well.

So in addition to requiring an air filter, I could be on the look out for a replacement bowl and another k301 head.

Stigian

That's a great haul Mark, it looks like your well and truly addicted now :thumbs2:

I can help you out with the float bowl, I do have a spare head, but not sure which model engine it came off of..

meadowfield

Ian,

thanks for the offer of the float bowl - I might just take you up on that !

might be worth me lifting the hea on mine and then comparing it with what you have.

I'll PM you...

cheers