Sign in to follow this  
toccoa1

New owner need help

toccoa1

I have bought 2 mowers and need some help with years built and suggestions for working on them

312-8 2112k805 29912 runs great good deck with leaf catcher has rust on body has been sitting outside Will not shift from high to low

310-8 2110k804 22649? Tag is faded, smaller deck and rusted have been working on it but have not started it.

Will most of the parts exchange? is one model better then the other? How hard is restoring the complete mower?

I can not believe the power compared to my sears mower.

any Info will help I have been reading the posts and this seems like a great site.

Sparky

Your 312 is a 1988 and your 310 is a 1987. All the parts on those two tractors will interchange.

:thumbs2:

Mike...........

CRE1992

312-8, 1988 Try rocking it back and forth while your in the seat.

310-8, 1987 I don't know what you need help...

To my knowledge there is no advantage between either one except 2 hp..

mavfreak

toccoa1

Thanks for the info with the years. I have just been changing the oil, spark plugs and trying to figure out how everything works. :banghead: allot to learn

Reading your site has really helped :thumbs2:

still looking for manuals but the years will help

can whlvr

i wouldnt force that high low shifter,sometimes you have to move the tractor a wee bit as you try,if not the shifter fork is probally bent,if its in high range you can use the tractor for most things,i usually only use low for rototilling and snowblowing deep snow,other than that just use her unless you want to split the rear end

toccoa1

i believe it is in high gear and it mows fine so i plan to leave it alone for now Thanks for the advise

shorts

Duff

:banghead: !

I've been away for a few days and just came back on the forum and saw your posts. I've got two 312's and a 310 - all very solid working machines. So far I haven't found anything the 312's can do that the 310 can't, and as others have said, the parts are all interchangeable. If it were me, I'd get them both up and running!

Glad to have you aboard!

~Duff :thumbs2:

tunahead72

I've never done a restoration, so I can't speak to that, but I do have an '86 310-8 that's served me very well for 24 years now.

What size is your larger deck? If it's a 48", I'd recommend keeping it with the 312-8 -- the 310-8 wasn't offered with a 48" deck, and from my own experience I'd say the 10 HP probably just isn't enough power for it. Anything smaller, either tractor should handle it just fine.

The only weakness I know about on these machines lies in the area where the upper steering shaft passes through the "console" (not sure of the correct term). That area was made of thinner metal than in earlier Horses, and it wears more quickly and causes more play in the steering system. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of. If your steering seems sloppy there (see if you can move the steering wheel front-to-back or side-to-side), there are some creative fixes elsewhere on this forum.

Have fun, good solid machines both! :thumbs2: