Sign in to follow this  
mrc

front tires for loader

mrc

hi guys, my plan is to add 26x12x12 tires to the rear of my wheelhorse loader tractor. i also thought i would add 18x6.50x8 front tires.. i will primarily be using this around my house which is turf and in my asphalt driveway. which type of tire is best??? turf, rib or ag??? also is the 18x6.50x8 a good size??? the front end is a forward swept axle from a 520H. thank you. mike in mass.

Kingwood990

Tri-ribs are great for steering especially with weight on the front. Tri-ribs will make your machine feel like it has power steering.

whfan74

I would have to agree with Matt on this one. Though I can't speak from experience, I have noticed that many members have mentioned in the past that they can't believe the difference the tri-ribs make in terms of ease of steering.

Brrly1

Ok, inquiring minds want to know how they will handle in the grass? I think that is about the only question that I would have. I have to believe they would be find unless you come up to a stop and then have to crank the wheel hard left or right. Thinking that they should be ok as a gradual turn is made but, I just don't know. That is my question. Well I guess there is one more. How do they work in snow as far as grip? Those are the two questions that I can think of for now. Thanks for any info. :thumbs2:

:banghead:

Rooster

How hard are they on your yard?

If he has a "mostly turf" and using the tractor on Asphalt would turf tires not be the best?

MalMac

I can not speak as to using tri-ribs on a garden tractor. But I can verify what they do on are big farm tractor. The tri rib was designed for Ag use. Now with that said not to be a smart a## here but are big tractors are used in the dirt (fields) the tri-rib gives great traction in steering in loose dirt. Now I have noticed that in the fall during harvest, when we pull are loaded grain wagons up to the driers and bins that they tear up the grass and weeds that have grown during the summer. They may work totally different on garden tractors due to less weight on them.

kpinnc

I haven't got a loader, but I run these with 100lbs of suitcase weights, and it still feels like I have power steering- even more so than my 520-H. They are expensive, but well worth it when steering under a load is in question. These are made by Firestone for Miller Tire Co, and are very heavy-duty tires:

WHCCshow2008019-1.jpg

I've had no issues at all tearing up my grass, and have found nothing they don't steer well in. I think there are a couple other members here who use them with a loader, so hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread.

sorekiwi

My loader project is still a work in progress, so I cant yet say how my 4.80x8 tri-ribs perform but this is what I went for:

IMG_3087.jpg

They're 4 ply Vredsteins from: http://www.tiresfromeurope.com/index.asp

I wanted as little offset as possible in the front wheel, as the leverage from a wide tire with a big offset is a major factor in how heavy the steering is.

I have another set of these on a 1276 I used for plowing snow and the difference in steering effort was night and day, and with the tri-ribs the tractor would actually turn even with the blade fully loaded up with snow. This comparison is to the 5.50-8 turf tires that were standard on that era of tire.

If I ever win the lottery I'd like to try the wider Firestones that Kevin is talking about.

WheelHorseSteve

I have the exact setup that Kevin has and love it... They look and function great. Steering is effortless and they are extremely heavy duty (6 ply I believe)... Which is great for the weight of a loader. Some observations:

1) Take note of the dirty stripe in the center of the Tri-rib - you are literally riding on a 1.5" strip on firm/flat ground. This likely lends to increased soil compaction - not a big deal if you aerate.

2) Thanks to the thin rib discussed above, the steering is naturally a bit "jittery" ... Not a big deal either... Just be aware. It's kind of like riding a bicycle.

3) They are challenging to mount - very firm tires! (thanks to the plys, surely)

All said though, I recommend them very much! :thumbs2:

Ole MN

I put 18/850-8 6ply on my GT14 w/loader and they work great. As Steve said 3) They are challenging to mount - very firm tires! (thanks to the plys, surely) They were. Lots of tire lube and sweat. But I like them streeing is better and don't have to worry about the tire rolling over in a turn with a load.