Sign in to follow this  
jdog_kustoms

720z and 718z

jdog_kustoms

does anyone own one of these or know anything about them i am looking at a nice 720z and a 718z parts mower the 720 has a 20 hp kohler magnum on it and runs and mowes as it should but needs some minor things and the 718 has a blow 18 hp onan motor on it

i know these were built by dixie choppers and i heard they are number 1 in zero turns but i have been known to be wrong

any info would be great

jdog_kustoms

does any one know were a manual can be found

wh500special

I had a 724Z for a while and it was a great grass cutter. It sold me on the idea that I won't go back to a tractor type mower again. But I really don't want another one of these.

The 718 and 720 aren't much different, just older.

They have a pair of Eaton 7 transmissions in them connected via a gearbox to the engine. They spin opposite directions and aren't directly interchangable. The transmissions have a nasty habit of being the weak link in the design. I popped two of them on my 724 before I split the thing up and eBayed it. I was fortunate enough to have a parts donor to scavenge. You can still get the transmissions new, but they are in the $700 range last I checked.

And, of course, there are all the chains and rube goldberg mechanisms.

You're miles ahead if you also buy the parts machine at the same time. It only takes about an hour to strip the whole parts tractor and put it in boxes by the way :thumbs2: The transmissions are only hard to get out if you try to salvage the brackets that hold them in place. I cut mine out.

A contact at Toro called them an "8 hour" tractor. Meaning you mow all day with it then spend 8 hours each night reworking them. My luck was better than that, but they do seem to pop up regularly with blown transmissions.

They mow nice. And they are quite fast and nimble. And the foot lift is nice. But given the age and amount of wear they probably have on them, expect to do a lot of wrenching.

Steve

baerpath

I have a 718Z, (mine has a 18 magnum) replaced one trans so far. Also had a 724Z but sold it. Good machines for home use. Owners manuals are availiable from Toro. If you can pick them up reasonable grab them.

Duane