Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Big Block Round Nose Concept

71_Bronco

So I got to thinking today, and thought of a really cool idea.

Putting a twin cylinder motor, like a 15 or 20 horse Kohler, into a round nose Wheel Horse.

I know it wont fit as the round noses are now, but I came up with a hybrid idea what would work.

You would have to use a later style steering, where it goes down almost vertical, then converts to horizontal to go under the motor. This would allow you to put the motor under the hood, rather then between the dash and seat.

Transmission would be a simple 8 speed, so no hydro components / linkages to worry about.

A custom dash would have to be made, and throttle & choke cables would have to be routed, along with a custom gas tank.

Oh, and a new set of rear fenders and a new seat bracket.

It would work in theory, but the only downside is making a custom frame and mounts for everything.

I even made a quick sketch of what it would kinda look like.

Sketch.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Don1977

You will also have to raise the hood as the smallest V-twin is between 17 and 18" tall. and a lot wider than the round hood. They are a tight fit in a "C- Series"

IMGP1770.jpg

wallfish

It's been done with a 12 horse.

12horse2.jpg

rmaynard

Let's not forget Bud's 603

4754664692_5451d59320_z.jpg

Kelly

Here is a 16hp

100_0591.jpg

71_Bronco

12horse2.jpg

That's freakin' awesome. That is basically what I was picturing, only the engine appeared smaller in my imagination. I love the "sunken" front axle to give it a "low-rider" effect.

TT

I've seen a 20+ horsepower v-twin Honda in a Lawn Ranger puller:

th_Quigglepull1.jpg

^^^ click for video

And how about a P-218 Onan on a 552?:

1852A001.jpg

:thumbs2:

squonk

12horse2.jpg

I love that Lil Hot Rod!! :thumbs2:

VinsRJ

12horse2.jpg

Let me tell you guys this thing goes like stink! :thumbs2:

kpinnc

You will also have to raise the hood as the smallest V-twin is between 17 and 18" tall. and a lot wider than the round hood. They are a tight fit in a "C- Series"

An opposed twin- like a Briggs 12-18 hp or a Kohler KT-series (2nd generation preferred) may have a lower profile. The breather will be the highest point, but there are plenty of aftermarket kits out there to "relocate" a breather/ filter assembly.

I've seen a round hood that was stretched- frame and hood, use an 18hp Briggs opposed twin, and it looked pretty neat. It was also converted to a trike.

Good luck!

71_Bronco

An opposed twin- like a Briggs 12-18 hp or a Kohler KT-series (2nd generation preferred) may have a lower profile. The breather will be the highest point, but there are plenty of aftermarket kits out there to "relocate" a breather/ filter assembly.

I've seen a round hood that was stretched- frame and hood, use an 18hp Briggs opposed twin, and it looked pretty neat. It was also converted to a trike.

Good luck!

Another Idea I had to get around the height would be to "step" the frame down to allow for the extra height. It would kill your ground clearance, but then again, this kinda of tractor is not build for mudding and mowing, so ground clearance is not a big issue. Stretching and widening the hood wouldn't be a problem, as it would be a simple cut and welding in a piece. Making the hood taller would be more difficult due to the shape of the front "grill" area.

littleredrider

One of the problems with the rounds hoods is they are narrow. If motors were centered more, you could get them up inside the hood, but then the belt won't line up.

I did this to my ranger when I put the 13 horse on it. Wanted the biggest motor I could stuff in there without cutting the hood. Height wise on the 13 is actually low, but because it's long, was tough getting it there.

I'd think it would be cool to do, but the size of twins makes it difficult without major surgery.

shorts

build it.

I'm still waiting to see someone put a wisconsin V4 in one :thumbs2:

SousaKerry

build it.

I'm still waiting to see someone put a wisconsin V4 in one

Shh don't tell anyone but that is exactly my next project I am working on a deal now for a Wisconsin VF4D engine from an old combine, gonna Frankenstein it into a C-81, as Tim Taylor would say "ooh ooh ooh"

Rjenson

I put a 12 horse in my daughters 704.. I used a deep weel oil pan off a john deere so it sat lower, then I cut the frame and widened it a bit and formed it around the shroud.. then just cut the shroud to fit around the hood..and whaalaa didn't have to ruin a perfectly good roundhood..

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd383/...on/IMAG0027.jpg

Sorry don't know how to add pics the no click method :thumbs2:

sned

There is atleast one person on here with a few round hood diesels. I don't think he had to cut the hood.

AMC RULES

I put a 12 horse in my daughters 704.. I used a deep weel oil pan off a john deere so it sat lower, then I cut the frame and widened it a bit and formed it around the shroud.. then just cut the shroud to fit around the hood..and whaalaa didn't have to ruin a perfectly good roundhood..

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd383/...on/IMAG0027.jpg

Wow! That's a nice looking tractor, well worth the click. :banghead:

Rooster

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=253920c01393...3930DE6!227

A little Photobucket tutorial I made for another web forum.

jay in nc

i also want to do the v4 wisconsen swap in a 520. the onan is 19 in. wide across the fan shroud -the v4 is 22 in. across its shroud . the onan is 22 in wide to the end if the clutch ,the v4 is 24 in wide but is much taller. it should not be to bad to fit to a 520. any way my v4 is a hand crank unit with a marlow irigation pump on it and i have too many projects ill take $150.00 for the motor, pump and 2 wheel trailer local pick up selma nc.

SousaKerry

Man if only you were closer to MI the one I am looking at is $50 more and don't come with all the extras :thumbs2:

jay in nc

50 dollars more is worth it. a combine engine will have a starter!

COMMANDO6

Those things are awesome. I love the 603.

SousaKerry

Starter.. I wish, not this one unfortunately :thumbs2: