Sign in to follow this  
rickson

Auxiliary Gas Tank

rickson

When I purchased my 1994 520H it came with a auxiliary gas tank. I was just curious what it would go for?

520HC

They are not that common,hard to price.

tiggercl

What does it look like and where does it fit?

Paul

CasualObserver

What does it look like and where does it fit?

Paul

Look at this thread to see what one looks like. ---> http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=21087

tiggercl

Thanks for that ! Quite agricultural really... pardon the pun...

I had visions of a super dooper custom moulded and integrated range extender..... ;o)

Paul

stevebo

PM sent

CRE1992

NO STEVEBO I WANT IT :banghead::banghead: :thumbs2:

tiggercl

When I purchased my 1994 520H it came with a auxiliary gas tank. I was just curious what it would go for?

How is the auxiliary gas tank connected?

Does auxiliary tank fuel line tap into the main tank?

Paul

stevebo

I have a want ad in the classified section looking for one. I will be watching this post to see how it installs. I believe it should mount t the rear axle and sits up above the middle rear fender. I am sure someone will have more info of pics. Good luck-

whfan74

We have one on our 520 and it sure makes it nice when mowing in the summer since the 520's are a thirsty machine. It has been a while since I really looked at it but I know it mounts down at the rear draw bar hitch and sits on the pin that holds it. You take out your spacers and this will fit in it's place. If I remember correctly the top part mounts to the fender pan support much like the Berco suitcase weight frame. The fuel line has a splitter in it that connects to your main fuel line from your fender gas tank. This is all gravity fed, as soon as some comes out from underneath the fender the auxilary tank has gas that fills it's place.

Dad has this on his main mowing machine at his property. He has approximately 1 1/2 acres to mow and has no problem getting it all done with both tanks full.

I will try and post up some pictures when I get home.

whfan74

Here are the only pictures I have of it right now. Sorry I will have to get some better ones if anyone is interested in seeing how it mounts............

accessorygastank.jpg

100_1994_0069.jpg

AMC RULES

I've seen that plastic type shown in :wh: brochures, also this earlier D type, metal tank as well. :scratchead:

I'd like to see how one of these metal tanks mount up too, if anyone is running one. :dunno:

post-3498-0-53882500-1332455126_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

I got to get one of those! The little gas tank on my B-80 doesn't go very far, the K-301 is a pretty thirsty animal when it is being worked hard. :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

The metal D tanks show up on ebay quite regularly, but I've never seen one listed with the mount though.

Pict above shows a framework for this metal tank, not sure if it's different from the plastic one. :confusion-shrug:

Most probably the same mount works for both, I imagine.

I've always liked the looks of this one better than the black one...more :wh: beefy. :thumbs:

stevebo

That deck under the 520 in the above pic looks like a hybrid of a more modern 520 deck and the handle to adjust the height looks like one from the old C195 deck. Never seen one like that !!

tiggercl

The fuel line has a splitter in it that connects to your main fuel line from your fender gas tank. This is all gravity fed, as soon as some comes out from underneath the fender the auxilary tank has gas that fills it's place.

Being that the system is gravity fed does the main fuel tank overflow if you remove the tank cap with a full auxiliary tank?

Paul

Shuboxlover

The fuel line has a splitter in it that connects to your main fuel line from your fender gas tank. This is all gravity fed, as soon as some comes out from underneath the fender the auxilary tank has gas that fills it's place.

Being that the system is gravity fed does the main fuel tank overflow if you remove the tank cap with a full auxiliary tank?

Paul

Actually, if I can remember from the one I used to have, the gas from the secondary tank does not fill the main tank, but the secondary one gets "used" first, then gas gets used from the main tank after the secondary one is empty.

tiggercl

Does anyone have close-up pictures of the fuel line connection arrangement between the two tanks?

Any special one-way check valves in use etc.?

Paul

Rideawaysenior

That pic was of a 520-HC. I wonder if there were special commercial features that came with the machine IE modified lift lever ETC. The tank on there sure does look a lot like the D series tanks though.

Sparky

The steel tank looks like a nice sturdy addition but all I can think of with the black plastic auxiliary tank is the 1972 Ford Pinto........get rear ended and KABOOM!! :ychain:

Mike.............

tiggercl

I'm thinking that one could make a more flexible auxiliary tank option by mounting a tank (plastic, stainless, spun aluminium or D series) on to a vertical support or 'T' piece welded to a tow ball receiver (behind the ball) using Scott's heavy duty hitch setup....

AMC RULES

Shouldn't be too hard to replicate, thanks for the link Martin. :thumbs:

Forest Road

Has anyone considered mounting a boat fuel tank? They're available in several sizes.