Sign in to follow this  
Dave M

WH 310 gas tank

Dave M

I was vacuuming-out a dry gas tank on the 310 and I smushed-up the screen filter a little bit. I know it's probably inconsequential, but I'd like to remove the entire drain assembly and be able to thoroughly clean the tank and straighten and clean the screen. So, does this drain assembly just "pop" out? Or, is there a trick to get it out? Can it be removed and reused, or will I have to find a new drain assembly? Thanks for any suggested techniques for removal and refit.

rmaynard

The shut-off valve with screen is pressed into the rubber grommet, which is pressed into the bottom of the tank. They can be removed by twisting them out.

However, I would get a new grommet, and possibly a new valve and screen. On my B-100's (which have the same basic setup) when the screen is damaged, it's hard to straighten. Both items are inexpensive if you get aftermarket parts. The grommet should be replaced to avoid any chance of leakage since they do tend to get hard and crack over time.

Edit: There is currently a complete kit on eBay now for around $20 delivered. Item #280505438693.

Dave M

Thank you, Bob.

Kelly

Pull the shut off out first then the rubber, if you crack or break the gromet you can get a new one at most small engine shops, or local mower dealers, it's the same for many many makes not just WH, as for the screen I remove them and install a in line filter.

Dave M

Thanks, Kelly. I'll need to put an inline filter in, anyway, because I had to cut the line off of the shut-off nipple (about an inch of line) and now it doesn't reach. I think I replaced the line on this tractor a couple of years back, and I had just enough line to go from the engine to the tank. The new inline filter will make-up the difference, keep me from having to replace the whole line, and give me that extra piece of mind for clean fuel. Thanks again for the suggestion.

kpinnc

as for the screen I remove them and install a in line filter.

Same here. The tank screens can clog up easily without being seen. An inline filter at least keeps the condition of the fuel visible. I always pull the tank screen off.