Sign in to follow this  
The Toolman

paint+muffler+hood=dull paint?

The Toolman

Gettin ready to start the repaint on my c-101 an have noticed that the 10hp kohler muffler is only about 1/4-3/8" from the hood along the mufflers length. Over the years it has dulled the paint on the hood pretty bad.

Is anybody out there doing anything diff to stop this, like wrapping the muffler with asbestos like the race car pipes, or making a shield for it? Or are ya just going along an living with the fact its gonna turn color from the heat before long?

mavfreak

You can try extending it out with some pipe or rerouting it.

boovuc

My 310-8 has the same defects on the hood. I thought about engine paint for the hood when I do it over again.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs2: :banghead::banghead: I was always told by my W/Horse dealer a well tuned engine will never dull the paint this my C141. I hope this helps Ron. the muffler in this picture is less than 1" away from the hood it runs down the hole length of the hood. Gary B... C141001.jpg

Retired Wrencher

Ron Here is a better picture. As u can see the Muffler is real tight to the hood. I hope this helps Gary B................... 1978C141isDone017.jpg

Retired Wrencher

Ron this one was last winter and we got over 3' in one storm. She really worked that day. Enjoy the ride. Gary B.................. LOOK DOWN 1 PAGE

Retired Wrencher
Roxi1-11025.jpg OOPPPSSSS

Retired Wrencher

Ron here is the original picture of what it look like when running bad. Gary B.......... C141007-1.jpg

The Toolman

I'll go ahead an give it a shot then. Heck it might go a long time without dulling the paint. It was like this when I got it an it had been sitting for several years before.

I don't understand this forum sometimes, I haven't gotten any reply notices, an here I had 7 replys here when I happened to come by an ck on something else. Sometimes it will send me notices an sometimes it won't. Strange............

Anyway, Thanx for the answers,

Ron :thumbs2:

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs2: :banghead::banghead: Ron that is the way it is sometimes. people get busy looking at pictures and that is all they see. I hope I help you?? T/Care Gary B.................

The Toolman

:thumbs2::banghead::banghead: Ron that is the way it is sometimes. people get busy looking at pictures and that is all they see. I hope I help you?? T/Care Gary B.................

Big T, yours looks like its just as close as mine is to the hood. Mighta been the cheap azz paint they used on mine he second time. Thank You an the others for all the answers

Ron :D

300zx

I have not had any problems with my paint, but my decal has shrunk and rolled up over the years on my C-121. I painted in in 1987 and it is a worker.

steelman

Gary, that is one mean looking machine. I've never seen weights on the front tires. Sweet!

njdpo

I am certainly no expert in this area - but I will say that I happen to have an ingersoll 444 with a big coffee can type of muffler is hidden up high directly under the top side of the hood ... a bad place to be (in my opinion) and it simply has an exit pipe out the left side of the hood.

This big muffler on the Kohler K321AS has not 1 but 2 well made shrouds around it (factory stock - not my doing). Obviously trying to protecting the hood from being roasted by the heat - and probably the operator too.

Coincidentally - A fan is attached to the horizontal crank on the Kohler 14 HP motor - which sits in back of the hydraulic oil radiator... I'm fairly sure it aids in moving the extreme heat from under the hood as well (as you can place your hand on the hood while the engine is running)...

HOWEVER...

On a warm day (after you turn off the engine) you could burn yourself on the hood of that ingersoll.

And for that reason - I open the hood of the tractor once I'm done using the machine - just to keep the extreme heat from roasting the hood. (Depending on outdoor temps, 15-60 minutes is generally enough time to get things cooled down to a reasonable temperature before I close the hood again). Which directly coincides with the amount of beer I must drink to cool myself down as well - so its a win/win for everyone. :thumbs2:

Simply by habit - I now open the hood of the Wheel Horse just because (i assume) that these high temperatures can not be good for the paint. Since I have recently painted my WH - I have a small investment I am trying to protect... Its not a professional paint job mind you - but I took the time to make it look presentable - and I want it staying that way... a least for a little while...

My next move will be to fabricate some type of similar shroud from a coffee can, shiny aluminum beer can, or some stainless steel sheeting which is reflective. Perhaps using rivets and/or hose clamps to secure it...

But that wont stop me from popping the hood open for 30 minutes after I've killed the motor to lets things cool down a bit.

Good luck with your situation.

Dave.

Retired Wrencher
:thumbs2: