Sign in to follow this  
bmay432

horse identification

bmay432

I was told that it was from the 50's and that it had a 8 hp. My concern is the hood. Do the RJ58 hoods have two pieces? This hood just stops flat at the steering wheel I wonder if it is misssing maybe a dash panel. All help identifing will be appreciated.

bmay432

Can't upload pics now. I will try to get them up tomorrow

octfst

we need pictures. but if the 8 hp wasnt added its not from the 50's. some one might have cut hood off hood to put that motor on. Is motor in front or middle? If in front its from 60's. If in middle & has cast front axle its a 60 or 61

bmay432

It's a nut roaster.

C-Series14

What type and shape is the front axle?

bmay432

The front axle is not flat, it goes up on each end and in the center the bottom of the axle has like a 1" nipple that serves no purpose other than identification I guess

bmay432

the hood has raised lines on the top and front. wheel horse is also raised on the front. There is a hole for the gas about 6 or 8 inches from the front before the round of the hood. Under the hood is a metal strap that goes from one end to the other for the gas tank to fit in.

stevebo

Sounds like a suburban with a cut hood so they could stuff a bigger motor in there. You need to post pics for us to help.

bmay432

I found some numbers on the transmission.

iN

not sure if it is an i or just a line but all of the numbers are raised except the i.

bmay432

I will post pictures soon as I can get back to work. Cant download any pictures on my home computer. Something's not jivin' with it and I am not to smart with computers. thanks guy's.

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like a 60 or a 61 with what you have said.Do the the decals say suburban on them or just wheel horse?,Jake

bmay432

can't read them but now I'm thinking it is a suburban. I have found sevral 551's that look like mine but mine has a pull start kholer. But I am not sure it is the origonl engine. can't read the sticker on the hood but by he shape of it I have only seen them on 551's

MikesRJ

Here's the pics posted for BMay432:

My guess is it is a 1961 401/551 ... Hard to tell (for me) with half the hood gone. Almost certain of the year though. The clutch/Brake pedal is the give-away unless it's been changed. The 1960 was similar to the RJ-58/59 and not a cast iron one as exists on this one. Don't think it's a 701 as the holes for the hood do not exist in the front frame plate, so therefore leaves the 401/551.

bmay432-001a.jpg

bmay432-002a.jpg

bmay432-003a.jpg

wallfish

It's a 551

bmay432

Thank's to Mike for posting theses pictures for me.