Sign in to follow this  
cushionartist

First Wheel Horse

cushionartist

Just got my first Wheel Horse. It's a hand me down that my Dad gave to me after we bought our first house. He bought it at an auction a few years ago and never really used it. It is a 310-8 and I need some help identifying it so I can find manuals, attachments, etc.

The engine is the Kohler Magnum 10. Model number M10S with a S/N of 1717702073.

The ID tag beside the seat is very faded and difficult to read. I have typed in what I think it says leaving underscores for digits I can't make out.

21_ _K 605 27_37

Not sure if some of those are right, but that is what it looks like. Is there anywhere else the S/N might be? Any other way to ID the tractor?

Thanks for the help!

gwest_ca

Possibly a 1988 310-8 model number 21-10K805.

10=engine hp

K=Kohler engine

8=8 speeds

05=parts list identifier

Kohler build serial number 1717702073 in 1987 which could be correct.

The tractor's serial number should have 5 digits so 27?37 looks correct.

Interested in knowing what the spec number is on the engine. Some confusion exists on when the charging system went from 3 amp to 15 amp. Will your headlamps come on only with the engine running? If so it is the 3 amp dual circuit system.

Garry

nylyon

Garry beat me to it. I was going with:

21-10K805 1988 310-8 Garden Tractor 8 Speed Kohler M10S-461521

cushionartist

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the headlamps when I get home, but I don't think they come on at all. It's on the list.

Any recommendations on engine and gear oil? I live in south central pa and will be using the tractor for snow plowing if I find a plow by then.

nylyon

Look in the links section you should find a link to just about everything you need.

cushionartist

The spec number on the engine is 461521.

The headlamps do not come on at all as stated earlier, but I did notice that there are 2 fuses in front of the battery. One is a 15 amp and the other is a 5 amp.

can whlvr

as you stated check the fuses,check that you have power to the switch,then check grounds,bulbs,wiring can get cracked or broken too,also you may have to check if your getting voltage from the engine,im pretty sure the engine has a separate charging system for the lights

JoeMonag

I have an '88 310-8. It has a 3 amp alternator, with an AC out put for the headlamps, and a ac feed to a diode to create DC to charge the battery. The alternator is un-regulated. The head lights only work if the engine is running

The 15 amp fuse is the main fuse, and the 5amp fuse is for the voltmeter and optional hour meter. I have a copy of the manual I got from Toro when I bought my 310 4 years ago, so if you have any questions you can e-mail me at:

JoeMonag@aol.com

Joe Monaghan, Norton, MA

mavfreak

:thumbs2:

shorts

:thumbs2:

SAM58

Hello and :thumbs2: