Sign in to follow this  
njdpo

I spy a c-85

njdpo

Hi all - I guess you could say ... I've been bitten by a bug (more specifically a horse fly)...

Went to see a C-85 this morning for parts... Turns out its a complete machine - which just needs a battery to get running ... It has a plough blade (currently mounted) and a mower deck (in real nice shape) which looks like the mower deck on my commando 800 (which I need very badly). Oh and it has tire chains too.

The rear plastic fender is mostly whole - but has a crack in it ... I guess I could crazy glue it.

Asking $600... I offered him $100 for the mower deck - he wanted to sell the whole thing - and went down to $400 for the whole machine / plough / and the deck. I passed - I already have the ingersoll and the Commando...

I see that it has an 8 spd tranny - It looks big and sturdy - I like that.. (the 8 spd gearbox seems bigger than the Commando 800's 4 spd tranny )

What I dont like is the looks of the C-85, (its ugly) I just want the parts from it !!! (Although this machine looks really stout - bigger than the Commando 800 - thats for sure.

So many questions... such little money.

- There is a dipstick under the seat - is that for the gearbox ? I didnt expect to see that there for a manual gearbox... Although that seems like a great idea... I could see that the fluid was very clean.

- I like the looks of my commando 800

o Would the trans fro mthe C-85 fit in my commando 800 ?

o Or - Would the hood of the Commando fit on the c-85 ?

- The C-85 looked bigger than my Commando 800. Is it the tires? or just my imagination?

Should I be liking this C-85 machine - its ... "ugly"... someone help me like it ...

Im thinking I would like to have a plough blade - and I need a mower deck... I'm thinking I would spend $250 on both... and then dump the C-85?

I sense the C-85 is a keeper - and I dont need another keeper... I guess I would like someone to tell me a bit about these C-85 machines... Talk it up - or talk it down please...

Can someone make some sense of it all for me? I really just want the mower deck. If I could get the C-85 to look like the Commando - that would be cool...

Thanks - Dave

TT

I'm right there with you on the BLAHk hoods. SMILEY15.gif I think they look like a Transformers robot / tractor.

With a few bolt-on changes, they can be "converted" into either a second generation C series - which is close to the style of your Commando (look in the gallery for pictures of the 1978/79 C-81) or a mid/late 80's 308-8.

Here's a picture of what once was my C-85 conversion "experiment":

C-85transformation004.jpg

njdpo

yeah - I think "ugly" is a bit too strong - but I just prefer the metal rounded hoods of the older generation stuff.

Hopefully I get some feedback on the tractor - I assume its a good unit.

Another thing -I seem to recall the mower deck and plough from a C machine being a potential fit for my Commando 800 - can someone confirm that for me? The deck on the machine is roughly 36 inches (either 36 or 37 inches).

All of a sudden my 800 seems like a rather complete package with a good mower deck and a plough blade.

your input appreciated

dave

TT

I assume its a good unit.

It's a :banghead: , isn't it? :thumbs2:

It's no different than a C-105/125/145/165/175 ~ it just has an 8hp engine.

There's lots of room for installing a larger engine in the future, and it's a "long frame", so there's not too many attachments/implements that won't work - and they're usually easier to find.

SousaKerry

I actually love the black hood look, has that classic 80's squared off and tough as nails look to it. They seem to make the tractors bigger and more powerful although they really aren't. I will admit the plastic fender pan was a big mistake great concept but just wrong material. That tranny should fit right in however you will have to remove the dipstick and plug the hole.

I actually think that the later hood witch was first used on the workhorse lawn tractors looks terrible looks like something that belongs on an MTD all round and crappy

C-85

I have a C-85 with a 36 R mower and 42' plow. I love this rig and I'm very proud of what this little 8hp machine can do. It must be one of the biggest 8hp tracors out there, and it's amazing what it can do. It's funny comparing it to any of the tractors on the market today, my tractor is so much bigger then most of the 25hp on the market.

My plastic seat pan is all busted up. I've patched it up quite a few times and wished they made a metal one like the plastic one. My C-105 has the newer metal one (someone replaced it before I bought it), which makes the whole tractor look smaller, even though it's bigger than my 8hp.

If you spend your money on this you'll be able to show off what a little/big tractor can do!

C-85

:thumbs2:

Sparky

I have two black hoods and they are my favorite "body style". I love looking down the hood from the seat. Try looking at it from that angle and maybe you'll change your mind :thumbs2: .

Get the C-85, you wont be dissapointed.

Mike........

Butch

I love my C-85 black hood. Plus it gets much better mileage than my C-175 black hood.

woodchuckfarmer

I got a C-175 and i think there neat.

jaydeer

Have a c-85 that was my second wheel horse that I ever owned. I bought it twelve years ago. SInce that time I have had about 50 wheel horses go through my garage and I still have that c-85. It was and is one of my favorite tractors. I know some folks don't like the look of them, but a lot do. I think that the nut roasters are impractical and ugly (sorry about the sacreligious statement) but would still love to have a nice restored one for my collection. They are all wheel horses and all are worth considering having. The price of 600.00 seems a bit steep for these economic times, 400.00 maybe depending on shape. Pick it up and if you dont like it you can trade or sell it.

shorts

Let him wait for a few days and then wave 3 Ben Franklins in front of him to see if he will help you load it up, the blade and deck are worth 100 ea and theirs at least 100 worth of parts that fit your other machine.

octfst

bought a C 85 at a show a couple weeks ago. kept mower deck & batt for my B 100 & motor sold rolling frame for $100 in a couple hours.

horse junkie

I beleive it is a sin to use the words ugly and Wheel Horse in the same sentence :thumbs2: :banghead:

njdpo

Shorts - I like your way of thinking - I was thinking about shooting for $350... but yeah - start at 300 and settle on 350...

Im gonna be on vacation for a week - so If he still has it 300 might not sound to bad to him...

the machine doesnt look real nice - its been painted over (with a paint brush)... He told me he bought it several years back for plowing the driveway in the winter. While it came with a deck (in nice shape) he never had the mower deck on it - because he contracted to have the lawn done. But since the landscape contractor did the snow removal for him too - - - the machine sat. (thats his story) if its true - then the machine hasn't seen a lot of hours on it (at least in the last 5 years).

In the meanwhile - I have another guy looking into a deck for me - If he finds a deck ill go for it - If i dont I'll make a move on the C-85 package deal.

SPINJIM

I own both a C-85 and an older style C-120. I like the looks of both, each for its own personality. The black hood looks more modern, but the older hood looks more classic and just neat. I've seen people paint the black hood all red, and that looks pretty good too. The plastic fender / seat pan was a big mistake on Wheel Horse's part. I found a metal seat pan from a C-160, and adapted it to the C-85. The bolt holes match up perfectly. I just had to enlarge the hole for the gas cap to 4" intead of the C-160's 3". The C series tractors with the Uni-Drive trans are the best. Enjoy.

The asking price sounds high. I paid $250 for mine, and it needed very little work. The seller was asking $350, but the shifter had pulled out and the dog screw had broken off. Required 6 hours of enjoyable work, and a $1 part.

Be careful. Wheel Horses are addictive. Let us know what your next Wheel Horse is. :thumbs2:

njdpo

Hi SpinJim3,

I dont know the WH lineup well enough to know if the $600 asking price for a c-85 with a plough blade and a RD mower deck is a good price or not... based on its paint brush paint job - it seemed a bit on the high side. It also seemed that when he dropped from $600 to $400 without me even asking - I knew I was approaching a "gooder" deal...

From my point of view - I've got options with this c-85 machine... its complete and a great parts tractor.

- its got a mower deck in really nice shape - which I need for my Commando 800.

- its got a push blade - which I could really use to help level out the property.

- wheel chains / blade to help with winter cleanups...

- Someone else mentions above I could pop 8 spd the tranny into the Commando...

- The motor would be a perfect match for my Commando - while I rebuild the original Kohler.

Questions:

* Can anybody comment on if the C-85 Trans would be an 8 or 10 pinion tranny?

* What does does that longer C-85 frame do for me (longer than my Commando) strength / weight / stability / more attachments ?

* If the front blade works on both machines (commando and c-85) - I assume I dont need to modify anything by moving from the longer frame to a shorter frame?

Pardon my ignorance on the matter - I bought the wrong tractor for the job last time, i dont want to repeat that mistake again.

Dave

Sparky

From my point of view - I've got options with this c-85 machine... its complete and a great parts tractor.

- its got a mower deck in really nice shape - which I need for my Commando 800.

- its got a push blade - which I could really use to help level out the property.

- wheel chains / blade to help with winter cleanups...

- Someone else mentions above I could pop 8 spd the tranny into the Commando...

- The motor would be a perfect match for my Commando - while I rebuild the original Kohler.

Questions:

* Can anybody comment on if the C-85 Trans would be an 8 or 10 pinion tranny?

* What does does that longer C-85 frame do for me (longer than my Commando) strength / weight / stability / more attachments ?

* If the front blade works on both machines (commando and c-85) - I assume I dont need to modify anything by moving from the longer frame to a shorter frame?

Pardon my ignorance on the matter - I bought the wrong tractor for the job last time, i dont want to repeat that mistake again.

Dave

The C-85 will have an 8 pinion tranny if its original. I'm not so sure the deck will mount up to your Commando tho. Someone here will be able to help you with that but I thought that the attach-a-matic stuff only fit the 1973 and up tractors unless the tractor had some sort of attach-a-matic adapter thingy installed. The plow on the C-85 is a long frame plow and the Commando is a short frame tractor. If the rear cross bar on the plow frame can be moved forward then it might work on your Commando.

Mike............

mavfreak

I us the plow on both the commando and the C161. no modifying needed

jimbotelho

I have to agree with c85 .I have a c85 with a 36 in deck and the cut is great (thanks steve bo for the machine) I have bigger horses but will outfit with a plow this winter and see what it will do If I have a problem I can go with the 14hp tractor I just traded will truckin 88 I would not mind having another c85 they are great go for it Big Jim :thumbs2: :banghead:

jimbotelho

I stand to be corrected by my son steve bo I have a c81 not c85 Thanks son Dad :thumbs2: