Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

How difficult is the older Hydro units?

71_Bronco

I am redoing my 71 Bronco with a hydro rear end. I am at the stage now where I am basically down to the frame, hydro unit, hydrolic pump, and the dash up-right.

I want to take off the rear end, but the linkages and all inside of the upright look pretty intimidating for a first time restorer.

So how difficult are these to rebuild? The part I am a little scared of is what is pictured.

Thanks

IMG_3095.jpg

sorekiwi

If it was working fine before you pulled the tractor apart, I'd leave the unit alone. Hydro's are very sensitive to any dirt getting inside them, so unless you need to I'd leave it alone.

I havent worked on a Bronco, but you can probably leave all the hydraulic lift stuff connected to the transmission, just remove it all from the frame and leave the lines hooked up.

The unit comes off the frame pretty easily, disconnect the link to the brake pedal and wheel the complete unit off the back of the frame. The DCL operates the transmission through a little ball :woohoo: that sits in a hole in the plastic plate on the front of the transmission - it will just come out of its hole as you pull the transmission back. There is also the spring to tension the belt on the right hand side, I think thats all you have to disconnect.

71_Bronco

Thanks for the reply sorekiwi.

The tractor is going to be a worker, so I was thinking about just leaving it all together and painting it. I am hesitant to take off the hydrolic pump, as I think it is connected some way to the trans (not 100% sure though). If it is, then I will prolly leave it on. I would like to take it off and be able to paint it separately.

As for separating the frame from the hydro unit, it sounds like I can do that without touching the linkages and connections on the frame itself, correct? If so, then that might come off for paint, but I'll leave the stuff inside alone. Prolly just spray it with some semi-gloss black to prevent any rusting or anything like that.

shootinok

I have to second the idea that if you dont need to crack the hydro unit, then dont.

If you must take it off the rear axel assembly - thats not too big of a deal and the gasket is still availible.

Here's what it looks like off....

5629974838_18f0f8f715.jpg

5620349814_cb6249cbb0.jpg

There is a small tubular screen that goes in the bottom hole in the rear end - be careful with that because you cant get them anymore.

can whlvr

as allready stated you dont have to take the pump off the rear to separate them,and thats not too bad,or leave it all on,clean every thing real good and paint it on the machine

71_Bronco

After seeing those pics, it looks like it will all be staying together.

What if I was to unbolt the hydro / hydroloc unit from the frame? Will that just pull off okay or is there connections to those inner springs / linkages that I don't wanna mess with? /:

Thanks for the help thus far guys, it is really appreciated.

can whlvr

mike mentions how in the first post,its pretty easy and you dont take the pump off the tranny if its all good,just separate with the bolts under the seat that bolt to the frame and tranny,undo hydro lines and keep very clean,i would put caps on as soon as diconnected(so as not to get dirt in lines or pump,)linkage ,belt off and thats about it,i left the lines on the pump and took them off at the valve,it was easy to keep clean that way

71_Bronco

Went home last night and tackled the split. I only split the frame from the hydro unit / hydrolic pump. It was super easy, 4 bolts from the frame, 2 for the hydrolic control thingy, and then the pin for the hydrolic lift piston thingy.

Was allot simpler thing I was thinking, and I am happy it was that easy.

Thanks allot for the info guys! One more piece of the puzzle down, lots more to go lol.

can whlvr

thats good you figured it out,and once you have done it its not so daunting after all,its nice to have people too bounce questions off of,wish i had this site and a computer 25 years ago,or when i broke an axle 20 years ago

mavfreak

thats good you figured it out,and once you have done it its not so daunting after all,its nice to have people too bounce questions off of,wish i had this site and a computer 25 years ago,or when i broke an axle 20 years ago

not to mention someone can walk you with reassembly or offer some pictures when you forget how things go back together :thumbs2: